The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) has announced the top earners in the Ontario Sired Racing Rewards Program for 2009.
Attention on the top 3-year-olds in Canada switches to the turf Aug. 2 when 13 line up for a contentious renewal of the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes at Woodbine. The final jewel of the Canadian Triple Crown attracted the winners of the first two events: Eye of the Leopard and Gallant.
Queen's Plate winner Eye of the Leopard, who won a tight decision over Mr. Foricos Two U and the filly Milwaukee Appeal in an exciting finish last month, has been installed as the 9-5 favorite in the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes. The second leg of the Canadian Triple Crown is July 12 at Fort Erie.
In spite of drifting out in the stretch, favored Eye of the Leopard edged past front-running Mr. Foricos Two U in the final strides to win the $883,819 Queen's Plate, the opening leg of the Canadian Triple Crown, by a neck June 21 at Woodbine.
Milwaukee Appeal, impressive winner of the Woodbine Oaks earlier this month, is the 3-1 morning line favorite for the $1 million Queen's Plate June 21 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Works Toward Seasonal Bow
- BC Juvenile Winner Texas Red Retired
- American Gal, Union Strike Meet in Starlet
- Resilient Humor Debut Winner for Sassy Image
- Retired Valet Ward Dies in Kentucky
- Trainer Brown Gearing Up for Gulfstream
- A Look Back at A.P. Indy's Hollywood Futurity
- Promising Mastery Heads Los Al Futurity Field
- Aqueduct Announcers Bring Youth, Experience
- Ferndale Racetrack OK After Earthquake