The Canadian Thoroughbred Horse Society (Ontario Division) has announced the top earners in the Ontario Sired Racing Rewards Program for 2009.
Attention on the top 3-year-olds in Canada switches to the turf Aug. 2 when 13 line up for a contentious renewal of the $500,000 Breeders' Stakes at Woodbine. The final jewel of the Canadian Triple Crown attracted the winners of the first two events: Eye of the Leopard and Gallant.
Queen's Plate winner Eye of the Leopard, who won a tight decision over Mr. Foricos Two U and the filly Milwaukee Appeal in an exciting finish last month, has been installed as the 9-5 favorite in the $500,000 Prince of Wales Stakes. The second leg of the Canadian Triple Crown is July 12 at Fort Erie.
In spite of drifting out in the stretch, favored Eye of the Leopard edged past front-running Mr. Foricos Two U in the final strides to win the $883,819 Queen's Plate, the opening leg of the Canadian Triple Crown, by a neck June 21 at Woodbine.
Milwaukee Appeal, impressive winner of the Woodbine Oaks earlier this month, is the 3-1 morning line favorite for the $1 million Queen's Plate June 21 at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah to Continue Racing
- Top Sprinter Secret Circle Retired to Stud
- First Winner Lands for Sire General Quarters
- Boden Takes on Key Positions at Calumet Farm
- Top Sanford Runners Meet Again in Hopeful
- Curlin to Hill 'n' Dale in 2016
- Ireland and the Thoroughbred
- Former Derby Museum Resident Au Moon Dies
- Stronach Group Still Interested in Suffolk
- La Jolla Rivals Challenge Prospect Park Again