Godolphin's Papineau became a major contender for the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 17 with his 1 1/2-length win over favored Mr Dinos in the Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) at Sandown Monday.
Mr Dinos solidified his claim as the leading stayer in England with a six-length victory in the featured race at Royal Ascot Thursday, the 2 1/2-mile Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won't be riding him in Royal Ascot's Gold Cup this summer, but Mr Dinos could give him pause after his impressive prep win in the Bonusprint Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) Monday at Sandown.
Paul Cole's Mr Dinos, just fifth in the St. Leger, was the star of the show in the French equivalent, the 1 7/8-mile Prix Royal-Oak, at Longchamp on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner