Godolphin's Papineau became a major contender for the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 17 with his 1 1/2-length win over favored Mr Dinos in the Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) at Sandown Monday.
Mr Dinos solidified his claim as the leading stayer in England with a six-length victory in the featured race at Royal Ascot Thursday, the 2 1/2-mile Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won't be riding him in Royal Ascot's Gold Cup this summer, but Mr Dinos could give him pause after his impressive prep win in the Bonusprint Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) Monday at Sandown.
Paul Cole's Mr Dinos, just fifth in the St. Leger, was the star of the show in the French equivalent, the 1 7/8-mile Prix Royal-Oak, at Longchamp on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- OBS Numbers Plummet During Open Session
- Mohaymen Cuts Back to Sprint in King's Bishop
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Quality Five-Horse Field for Personal Ensign
- Ballerina Stakes Has Stage Full of Talent
- CHRB Member Calls for Trainer 'Profiling'
- Trainer Brown Captures 1,000th Win