Godolphin's Papineau became a major contender for the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 17 with his 1 1/2-length win over favored Mr Dinos in the Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) at Sandown Monday.
Mr Dinos solidified his claim as the leading stayer in England with a six-length victory in the featured race at Royal Ascot Thursday, the 2 1/2-mile Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won't be riding him in Royal Ascot's Gold Cup this summer, but Mr Dinos could give him pause after his impressive prep win in the Bonusprint Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) Monday at Sandown.
Paul Cole's Mr Dinos, just fifth in the St. Leger, was the star of the show in the French equivalent, the 1 7/8-mile Prix Royal-Oak, at Longchamp on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'
- Firenze Fire Upsets Sanford Stakes
- Twisted Tom Muscles His Way to New York Derby Score
- As Arrogate's Stature Builds, So Do Expectations
- Always Dreaming, Cloud Computing, Tapwrit Work at Spa
- Hunt Overcomes Trouble to Win Eddie Read
- Maryland Horse of the Year Ben's Cat Dies
- Dream It Is The Real Deal in Schuylerville
- Classic Empire to Resume Galloping