Godolphin's Papineau became a major contender for the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 17 with his 1 1/2-length win over favored Mr Dinos in the Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) at Sandown Monday.
Mr Dinos solidified his claim as the leading stayer in England with a six-length victory in the featured race at Royal Ascot Thursday, the 2 1/2-mile Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won't be riding him in Royal Ascot's Gold Cup this summer, but Mr Dinos could give him pause after his impressive prep win in the Bonusprint Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) Monday at Sandown.
Paul Cole's Mr Dinos, just fifth in the St. Leger, was the star of the show in the French equivalent, the 1 7/8-mile Prix Royal-Oak, at Longchamp on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- NBC Will Air Pegasus World Cup
- Pinhooking Rookie Scores Big at Keeneland
- California Chrome Arrives at Santa Anita
- Texas Bling Retired to Stud
- Songbird Untouchable in Cotillion
- Connect Bounces Back in Pennsylvania Derby
- Texas Chrome Prevails in Oklahoma Derby
- BH 100: Shooting Star
- Ward: Scope Shows Lady Aurelia Bled
- Connect in Good Shape After PA Derby Win