Godolphin's Papineau became a major contender for the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot June 17 with his 1 1/2-length win over favored Mr Dinos in the Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) at Sandown Monday.
Mr Dinos solidified his claim as the leading stayer in England with a six-length victory in the featured race at Royal Ascot Thursday, the 2 1/2-mile Gold Cup (Eng-I).
Jockey Frankie Dettori won't be riding him in Royal Ascot's Gold Cup this summer, but Mr Dinos could give him pause after his impressive prep win in the Bonusprint Henry II Stakes (Eng-II) Monday at Sandown.
Paul Cole's Mr Dinos, just fifth in the St. Leger, was the star of the show in the French equivalent, the 1 7/8-mile Prix Royal-Oak, at Longchamp on Sunday.
Most Popular Stories
- Options Abound for Holy Bull Winner Upstart
- Bob Neumeier Wins Celebrity Challenge at NHC
- Rising Star Cassatt Captures Ladies Classic
- R Sassy Lass Tops OBS Racing Card Tuesday
- Desormeaux Sets Derby Path for Texas Red
- Coalport Convincing Winner of Connally Cup
- Able Friend Storms to Stewards' Cup Triumph
- Catalog Online for Barretts 2-Year-Old Sale
- Upstart Proves Class in Holy Bull
- 'Chrome Set for San Antonio; Bayern Doubtful