Stanwyck, an Empire Maker mare who is a half sister to 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, was bought by agent Steven A. Young for $2.4 million at the Nov. 4 first session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Undefeated Zenyatta unwound her patented stretch drive once again to sweep by Hystericalady in the final furlong to win the $245,000 Lady's Secret (gr. IT)during the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita Park Sept. 27.
Madeo, justifying the faith trainer John Shirreffs has shown in him, overtook pacesetter Tangled Tango in deep stretch to post a handy upset in the $350,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Aug. 31.
The nay-sayers who thought Zenyatta might have been vulnerable after her comparatively plodding win in the Vanity (gr. I) last time out were left with little left to criticize when the statuesque filly blew by her rivals to capture the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch (gr. II) under wraps at Del Mar Aug. 2. Zenyatta, the top-ranked older female in the nation, remains perfect in seven lifetime races.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss' heavily favored Spellbinder dug in for the final strides to hold off the surging Sharp Writer and win the $150,000 Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) in gate-to-wire fashion at Golden Gate Fields Monday.
After three consecutive days of sharp declines, the Keeneland September yearling sale turned in a solid performance on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Annals of Time Surges to Win Hollywood Derby
- California Chrome Logs Work for 'Challenge'
- Arrogate-'Chrome' Match Race in Pegasus?
- Changing Schedules Impacted Wood, Blue Grass
- Departing Retired to Claiborne Farm
- Vale Dori Impressive in Bayakoa Victory
- Blue Grass, Wood Memorial Downgraded
- Half Dome Dude Sets Remington Track Record
- Sandford, Owner of Take Charge Indy, Dies
- Highway Star Wins Go for Wand by a Nose