Stanwyck, an Empire Maker mare who is a half sister to 2005 Kentucky Derby winner Giacomo, was bought by agent Steven A. Young for $2.4 million at the Nov. 4 first session of the Keeneland November breeding stock sale.
Undefeated Zenyatta unwound her patented stretch drive once again to sweep by Hystericalady in the final furlong to win the $245,000 Lady's Secret (gr. IT)during the Oak Tree meeting at Santa Anita Park Sept. 27.
Madeo, justifying the faith trainer John Shirreffs has shown in him, overtook pacesetter Tangled Tango in deep stretch to post a handy upset in the $350,000 Del Mar Derby (gr. IIT) Aug. 31.
The nay-sayers who thought Zenyatta might have been vulnerable after her comparatively plodding win in the Vanity (gr. I) last time out were left with little left to criticize when the statuesque filly blew by her rivals to capture the $300,000 Clement L. Hirsch (gr. II) under wraps at Del Mar Aug. 2. Zenyatta, the top-ranked older female in the nation, remains perfect in seven lifetime races.
Mr. and Mrs. Jerry Moss' heavily favored Spellbinder dug in for the final strides to hold off the surging Sharp Writer and win the $150,000 Berkeley Handicap (gr. III) in gate-to-wire fashion at Golden Gate Fields Monday.
After three consecutive days of sharp declines, the Keeneland September yearling sale turned in a solid performance on Thursday.
Most Popular Stories
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Cathryn Sophia Voted Top Midlantic-Bred for 2016
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- Mexikoma to Stand at Keen Farms
- A Look Back at Quack's California Derby
- PA Development Fund Helped Brandt Expand Feed Business
- What's Going On Here: No Bid, No Win
- National HBPA Set for Convention in March in Las Vegas
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al
- Awesome Slew Stands Out in Sunshine Millions Classic