Zanjero carried a six-race losing streak into the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. III), having last been to the winners circle in an allowance at Belmont Park in November. The 3-year-old colt outfought Bwana Bull in a heart-pounding finish to take the feature at Mountaineer Park Aug. 4.
Of the field of 10 running in the $750,000 West Virginia Derby (gr. III) Aug. 4, five have run in American Classicsno--none of them with any success. If one of them can break through in the 1 1/8-mile trek around Mountaineer Race Track & Gaming Resort's main track, it will go a long way to help separate itself in a competitive 3-year-old division that is beginning to take shape.
Hobeau Farm homebred Delightful Kiss, overlooked at odds of nearly 25-1, charged to his first stakes victory from the outside under a patient Jeffrey Sanchez, winning the $300,000 Ohio Derby (gr. II) for 3-year-olds by 3 1/2 lengths Saturday at Thistledown.
Cowtown Cat, winner of the Illinois Derby (gr. II) and Gotham Stakes (gr. III) this season, drew the No. 6 post position and has been installed the 5-2 morning line favorite for Saturday's $300,000 Ohio Derby (gr. II) at Thistledown.
Joseph Lacombe Stable's Slew's Tizzy used a perfect stalking trip under Robby Albarado to capture the $300,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) for 3-year-olds as a slight favorite on a sloppy track Saturday in Grand Prairie, Texas.
A field of 10 3-year-olds was entered in Saturday's $300,000 Lone Star Derby (gr. III) at Lone Star Park, headed by Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) champ Slew's Tizzy and Illinois Derby (gr. II) runner-up Reporting for Duty.
- By Steve Haskin
There is still a small crack in the door to get into the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). Whether anyone in Saturday's Coolmore Lexington Stakes (gr. II) can squeeze in at the last minute is another matter.
Most Popular Stories
- Battalion Runner, Malagacy to Bypass Kentucky Derby
- Fast Work Provides Relief for Girvin's Connections
- Thunder Snow Confirmed for Kentucky Derby
- Gormley Puts in Unconventional Final Derby Work
- Trust in Tammy: Fox Taught J Boys Echo His Lessons Well
- Official Veterinary Team From China Visits Kentucky
- Business as Usual for J Boys Echo in Derby Breeze
- War Correspondent Responds in Miami Mile
- Pletcher Breezes Four Kentucky Derby Hopefuls
- Classic Empire a Pro in Four-Furlong Move