The five stakes winners on the second half of Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course shared a common thread: all were winners earlier in the meet.
Stanley Seelig's Follow the Lite trailed the early leaders but led them all at the wire in Friday's $75,000 Esplanade Stakes at Fair Grounds.
Cort's P.B., with Jamie Theriot aboard, sped to the early lead and then held off a late charge by Smalltown Slew for a one-length win in the $75,000 Thanksgiving Handicap Thursday before a record crowd at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Tortuga Flats and Nob Hill Deelite were favored to repeat their Louisiana Champions Day wins in their respective divisions of the Louisiana Futurity, and both prevailed Saturday at the Fair Grounds meet at Harrah's Louisiana Downs.
The Beter Man Can pulled an 11-1 shocker in the Tiffany Lass Stakes, overhauling odds-on favorite Punch Appeal at the top of the stretch to capture the $100,000 event for 3-year-old fillies Saturday at Fair Grounds Race Course.
Walk This Way staked a claim as the top 3-year-old Louisiana-bred at Fair Grounds this meet by winning Saturday's $100,000 Gentilly Handicap for state-breds on the turf.
Most Popular Stories
- Game On Dude, Won Three Big 'Caps, Retired
- Sherman Says 'Chrome' Looks as Good as Ever
- Top Filly Princess of Sylmar Retired
- California Chrome Draws Rail in PA Derby
- Undrafted Returns in Kentucky Downs Turf Dash
- Illinois Board Has Tough Call on 2015 Dates
- Big Gains Mark Keeneland Sale's Day 11
- Filly First Winner for Line of David
- Pedigree Analysis: Inbreeding Trends
- Top Stallion Street Cry Dead at Age 16