Mount Joy donation adds a bridge between racing and charity. read blog
Veteran trainer Bennie Stutts Jr. announced his retirement Nov. 24, with recent maiden winner Iwillneversaynever the final horse he would saddle during a career that spanned 44 years.
Millionaire Smooth Air, a grade II winner this year and last year, will be sidelined for several months because of a hairline fracture to his pelvis.
Mount Joy Stables' 4-year-old Florida homebred Smooth Air wore down the leaders in the deep stretch of the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) March 14 at Gulfstream Park to score a 1 1/4-length decision over Rolbea Throughbred Racing's 5-year-old Finallymadeit.
If his last race is any indication, Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air should be set up for a big run in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) on March 14 at Gulfstream Park, a race that has been shortened from 1 3/16 miles to one mile this season.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air became a prime contender for the $1-million Florida Derby (gr. I) March 29 at Gulfstream Park after working a mile March 9.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Team Optimistic, Nyquist 'Full of Energy'
- Beholder to Make 2016 Debut in Adoration
- Big Blue Kitten Heads Woodford Turf Classic
- Repole Returns With Outwork for Uncle Mo
- Lady Aurelia Awaits Queen Mary at Ascot
- Bensons Hope to Let Good Times Roll in Derby
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite