Mount Joy donation adds a bridge between racing and charity. read blog
Veteran trainer Bennie Stutts Jr. announced his retirement Nov. 24, with recent maiden winner Iwillneversaynever the final horse he would saddle during a career that spanned 44 years.
Millionaire Smooth Air, a grade II winner this year and last year, will be sidelined for several months because of a hairline fracture to his pelvis.
Mount Joy Stables' 4-year-old Florida homebred Smooth Air wore down the leaders in the deep stretch of the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) March 14 at Gulfstream Park to score a 1 1/4-length decision over Rolbea Throughbred Racing's 5-year-old Finallymadeit.
If his last race is any indication, Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air should be set up for a big run in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) on March 14 at Gulfstream Park, a race that has been shortened from 1 3/16 miles to one mile this season.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air became a prime contender for the $1-million Florida Derby (gr. I) March 29 at Gulfstream Park after working a mile March 9.
Most Popular Stories
- Lukas Drops by to See Old Friend Charismatic
- Lemon Drop Kid an Emerging Broodmare Sire
- Miss Temple City Scores Matriarch by a Nose
- Santa Anita Moves American Oaks to Dec. 31
- Industry Asks for H-2B Visa Program Support
- Track Maintenance Internships Being Offered
- BH 100: Commemorates
- Laoban Works Toward Return
- Laurel Announces Winter Stakes Schedule
- ADW Company AmWest Joins NTRA