Mount Joy donation adds a bridge between racing and charity. read blog
Veteran trainer Bennie Stutts Jr. announced his retirement Nov. 24, with recent maiden winner Iwillneversaynever the final horse he would saddle during a career that spanned 44 years.
Millionaire Smooth Air, a grade II winner this year and last year, will be sidelined for several months because of a hairline fracture to his pelvis.
Mount Joy Stables' 4-year-old Florida homebred Smooth Air wore down the leaders in the deep stretch of the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) March 14 at Gulfstream Park to score a 1 1/4-length decision over Rolbea Throughbred Racing's 5-year-old Finallymadeit.
If his last race is any indication, Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air should be set up for a big run in the $300,000 Gulfstream Park Handicap (gr. II) on March 14 at Gulfstream Park, a race that has been shortened from 1 3/16 miles to one mile this season.
Mount Joy Stables' Smooth Air became a prime contender for the $1-million Florida Derby (gr. I) March 29 at Gulfstream Park after working a mile March 9.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Draws Post 5 for Belmont
- American Pharoah Gets First Look at Belmont
- American Pharoah Arrives at Belmont
- Mubtaahij Races For 'Other' Sheikh in Belmont
- Champion Untapable Formidable in Ogden Phipps
- Five Aim for First Stakes Score in Easy Goer
- Champion Escena Dead at Age 22 in Kentucky
- Acorn Stakes Field Deep and Wide
- Tonalist Looks to Continue Met Mile Trend
- Belmont Post Draw: Todd Pletcher