Maryland's Thoroughbred industry is likely to be downsized considerably beginning in 2008 unless racetracks are allowed more gambling options such as slot machines, a racetrack executive said Nov. 14.
The head of a new Maryland panel designed to better market horse racing said he expects the state legislature to reach consensus on slot-machine legislation next year.
Several departments of Maryland state government including the racing commission will be part of a marketing task force to be announced Monday (Oct. 23) at the commission's monthly meeting.
Speed Whiz won the $500,000 West Virginia Breeders Classic for the second year in a row on Saturday night at Charles Town Races & Slots.
Most Popular Stories
- Breeders' Cup Tickets Go On Sale March 4
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Take Charge Brandi Not Entered in Honeybee
- Charles Town Cancels Thursday Night Card
- Changes Possible on Federal Tax Withholdings
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Handle on U.S. Races Down 3.66% in February
- Fair Grounds Preps a Tale of Two Sexes
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- Rock Diva Dances to Auckland Cup Victory