William E. Morey ended a string of 32 consecutive training titles won by Jerry Hollendorfer at Golden Gate Fields as the East Bay track's 30-day spring meeting came to a close June 22.
After back-to-back stakes victories, the hard-trying California-bred Bold Chieftain may never have a better opportunity to notch his first graded win than in the $150,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the San Mateo track's turf course Sept. 22.
Only three horses entered to face Smokey Stover, the nation's top-ranked sprinter, for the $100,000 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint (gr. III) at six furlongs on Sunday.
William E. Morey scored a training triple Wednesday at Bay Meadows when he sent out the winners of the second, third, and seventh races.
Mrs. Barton D. Heller and William J. Morey Jr.'s Mellow Fellow closed for a 1 1/2-length victory in Saturday's $198,750 Bay Meadows Breeders' Cup Sprint Handicap (gr. III) to notch his sixth consecutive win. The 7-year-old gelding completed the six furlongs in 1:08.35 on the fast track.
Northern California-based owner Barton Heller, whose Dixie Dot Com is preparing to run in the Pacific Classic (gr. I), died of a heart attack Friday morning at Stanford Hospital prior to minor surgery. A memorial service will be held at Golden Gate Fields on Monday.
Dixie Dot Com raced up close early en route to a 6 1/2-length win over Mr Ross in the $300,000 Texas Mile Stakes (gr. III) Saturday on a fast track at Lone Star Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- McCraken Top Individual in Kentucky Derby Future Wager
- Girvin, Farrell Exit Fair Grounds Wins Well
- Fasig-Tipton Gulfstream Sale Poised for Strength
- Jockey Alex Birzer Reaches 3,000 Wins
- El Areeb Sharp in Five-Furlong Workout
- John Moore Sweeps Hong Kong G1s
- Dortmund Could Return in Triple Bend
- Under Tack Show Can Make or Break Sale