Gary Tanaka's odds-on choice Embossed overtook the leaders in deep stretch and drew away for a three-quarters of a length win in the $200,000 Dallas Turf Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on a soft Lone Star Park grass course Monday.
The 82nd running of the $500,000 New Orleans Handicap (gr. II) has attracted a field of seven, led by two graded stakes winners.
Michael Langford's Jonesboro was gunned right to the lead by Calvin Borel from his outside post, and was never challenged as he raced to a 5 3/4-length victory in the $100,000 Essex Handicap (gr. III) before a crowd of 16,602 on Saturday at Oaklawn Park.
Elona Whetstone's Mr. Pursuit, fresh off a second-place finish in the Maxxim Gold Cup Handicap at Sam Houston on Jan. 27, is the 118-pound high weight among 11 older horses entered for Saturday's featured $100,000 Essex Handicap (gr. III) at Oaklawn Park.
Mr. Pursuit has been installed as the 3-1 morning-line favorite in Saturday's $100,000 Maxxam Gold Cup at Sam Houston Race Park.
Louisborg heads a field of 12 entered for the $250,000 Oklahoma Derby Friday night at Remington Park in Oklahoma City.
Upsetter More Than Regal, ridden by Shaun Bridgmohan, collared the front-running Blazing Sunset seventy yards from the wire to score a half-length victory in the $250,000 Iowa Derby Friday at Prairie Meadows.
With a City, the longest price in the field of 12 at odds of 48-1, split horses in the stretch and came home strongest of all to record a 1 1/4-length win in the $500,000 Lane's End Stakes (gr. II) for 3-year-olds at Turfway Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Secretariat Celebration Set for March 29
- Breeders' Cup Ramps Up Recruiting in Europe
- Trainer D'Angelo Dies at 55
- TimeformUS Saturday Plays
- Concern, Tuscalee Inducted into Maryland Hall
- Former Jockey Davis Focus of HRTV Documentary
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Bogdan, Former NY Breeders Lobbyist, Dies
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- 'Night of the Stars' to Benefit CKRH