David and Jill Heerensperger's Indyanne is undefeated and unchallenged in four career starts. The lightning-quick daughter of Indian Charlie looks to continue her domination Aug. 23 at Saratoga, as she takes on nine quality 3-year-old fillies in the $100,000-added Victory Ride (gr. III).
Irish Smoke did not have as much experience as most of the 2-year-old fillies in the $250,000 Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 2, but what she lacked in class, she made up for with overwhelming closing speed.
- By Claire Novak
Standing outside his barn on the Oklahoma side of Saratoga, Bob Baffert holds court with the media and smiles. He talks about Midnight Lute's victory in the Forego (gr. I). About how rewarding it is to win a race like that at a track like this. About how good it feels to be back.
It's still early in the 2-year-old season, but it seems that Bob Baffert already has a slight leg up on the rest of the competition, as the trainer has a pair of good-looking prospects, both by 2002 Juvenile champion Vindication. One of them, More Happy, will headline a field of 10 in the 116th running of the $250,000 Spinaway Stakes (gr. I) Sept. 2 at Saratoga, the nation's first Grade I event of the year for 2-year-olds.
Zayat Stables' J Be K, a 2-year-old son of Silver Deputy trained by Bob Baffert, broke the track record at Saratoga Race Course in the first start of his career when he blazed 5 1/2 furlongs in 1:03.13.
Phantom Income and More Happy were the clear favorites in the 91st running of $150,000 Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga Aug. 15. The six-and-a-half-furlong sprint could not have gone any more dramatically different for the pair of talented 2-year-old fillies.
The Aug. 15 Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga has attracted nine entrants, and they have combined for 11 wins from 16 starts, with none finishing out of the money.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Lands Post Nine For Dubai World Cup
- Mind Your Biscuits Aims to Give Summers First Win
- Hope Floats for Hoppertunity in Dubai World Cup
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - March 21, 2017
- Look Back: Summer Squall Answers Questions in Jim Beam
- Conquest Mo Money Carries Local Hopes in Sunland Derby
- Highland Reel Among World Cup Day Turf Runners
- Classic Empire Back to Work in Ocala
- Gun Runner Brings Consistent Class to World Cup Stage
- Mastery to Claiborne Farm Upon Retirement