Favored Lady Joanne overcame a sluggish start to collar High Again near the sixteenth pole en route to a one-length victory in the $167,550 Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies at Churchill Downs Saturday.
The Carl Nafzger-trained Lady Joanne heads a field of nine in the $150,000-added Dogwood Breeders' Cup (gr. III) for 3-year-old fillies as Churchill Downs offers a stakes trio on its Saturday racing program.
Closing from the rear of the field after the opening half-mile, Robert V. Hovelson's homebred Swingit proved a game winner when she bettered Luna Dorada by a head to win the $171,500 Edgewood for 3-year-old fillies on Friday at rainy Churchill Downs.
The five stakes winners on the second half of Louisiana Lagniappe Weekend Sunday at Fair Grounds Race Course shared a common thread: all were winners earlier in the meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Uncontested Romp in Smarty Jones
- First Foal by Palace Malice Born
- Classic Empire Aims for Season Debut in Holy Bull
- Zito Saddles 2,000th Winner
- Green Gratto Grinds Out Toboggan Win
- Prize Exhibit Sweeps by in Megahertz
- Grade 1 Winner Bradester to Stud at Valor Farm
- Zayat, Romans Want to See Prayer for Relief in Pegasus
- Arrogate Sails Through Penultimate Work for Pegasus Cup
- Mahoning Valley Announces Purse Increase