Fantasy Stakes (gr. II) winner Mystic Lady set the pace and held off the late charge of Sir Brian's Sword to win the $100,000 Jersey Derby on Sunday at Monmouth Park. The 3-year-old daughter of Thunder Gulch, racing against males for the first time, completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:44.31 on a fast main track. Mystic Lady became the second filly to win the Jersey Derby, joining 1998 winner Who Did It and Run.
Under jockey Jose Santos, Christophe Clement-trained Kalu set a slow early pace and held on to win in the $250,000 Hawthorne Derby (gr. IIIT) by 3/4-lengths over 2-1 favorite Proud Man Saturday at Hawthorne Race Course. The 3-year-old son of Honor Grades completed the 1 1/8 miles in 1:50.49 of firm turf. After the race, Santos broke his right wrist when the horse reared up unexpectedly while heading to the winner's circle.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Hence Springs Upset in Sunland Derby
- Dortmund Back to Dirt in Next Start
- Undefeated Ghalia Takes Sunland Park Oaks
- Girvin Heads Louisiana Derby Field
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen