If many of the names in the Belmont (gr. I) look familiar, that's because they should. For the first time in history, the top seven finishers from the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) have returned for the final leg of the Triple Crown
Animal Kingdom arrived at Belmont Park at approximately 7:30 a.m. (EDT) June 5 to prepare for the June 11, $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
The current status of the Belmont Stakes field, late season 3-year-olds including Nehro, and longshots for the Belmont. Watch Video
Monzon, who finished sixth in the May 14 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park and is being pointed for the June 11 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), worked six furlongs in 1:16 May 31, according to Daily Racing Form.
Should Brethren run big in the $225,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 12 at Tampa Bay Downs, the WinStar Farm homebred is sure to join the mix as a serious Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contender.
See the races from the first weekend of 2011. View Slideshow
Sagamore Farm's homebred Monzon, returning to dirt after making three starts on the grass, commenced his sophomore season with a last-to-first victory in the $65,000 Count Fleet on New Year's Day at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Rey de Oro wins Japanese Derby
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes