If many of the names in the Belmont (gr. I) look familiar, that's because they should. For the first time in history, the top seven finishers from the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) have returned for the final leg of the Triple Crown
Animal Kingdom arrived at Belmont Park at approximately 7:30 a.m. (EDT) June 5 to prepare for the June 11, $1 million Belmont Stakes (gr. I) at Belmont Park.
The current status of the Belmont Stakes field, late season 3-year-olds including Nehro, and longshots for the Belmont. Watch Video
Monzon, who finished sixth in the May 14 Peter Pan Stakes (gr. II) at Belmont Park and is being pointed for the June 11 Belmont Stakes (gr. I), worked six furlongs in 1:16 May 31, according to Daily Racing Form.
Should Brethren run big in the $225,000 Sam F. Davis Stakes (gr. III) Feb. 12 at Tampa Bay Downs, the WinStar Farm homebred is sure to join the mix as a serious Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contender.
See the races from the first weekend of 2011. View Slideshow
Sagamore Farm's homebred Monzon, returning to dirt after making three starts on the grass, commenced his sophomore season with a last-to-first victory in the $65,000 Count Fleet on New Year's Day at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Gala Award: Not Your Typical Turf Pedigree
- Leishmaniasis: No Longer Just a Foreign Animal Disease
- Shared Belief Confirmed Off KY Derby Trail
- Downey Appointed to Judicial Position in KY
- Xpressbet to Sponsor HOF Jockey Challenge
- Run the Bluegrass Race Honors Zenyatta
- 'Mandate' Should Be Strong in Rebel Stakes
- Social Inclusion On Derby Path After Big Win
- McGaughey Encouraged by Honor Code's Effort
- Santa Ana Features Return of Emollient