On a yielding turf course and in a paceless race, Cetewayo closed from far back to win Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) by 3 1/4 lengths over favored Band Is Passing. The win marks the first for the 8-year-old son of His Majesty since taking the Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) in November of 2000.
Breakaway Racing Stable's Unite's Big Red, who won the Mac Diarmida (gr. III) two years ago, breezed five furlongs in 1:04 2/5 at Calder Race Course last Sunday in preparation for his upcoming engagement in Sunday's renewal of that same stakes event.
Most Popular Stories
- Beholder Work Moved After Del Mar Breakdowns
- Exaggerator Questionable for Jim Dandy
- Bitumen Rallies to Sanford Score
- Stradivari Sustains Career-Ending Injury
- Enola Gray Still Unbeaten After Del Mar Romp
- Fair Eva First Stakes Winner for Frankel
- 7-Year-Old Gelding Wins First Start at Ellis
- Highland Reel Leads Every Step in King George
- Blame Angel Wins a Day After Trainer's Death
- Apprentice Aparicio Rides First U.S. Winner