On a yielding turf course and in a paceless race, Cetewayo closed from far back to win Saturday's $200,000 Gulfstream Park Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IT) by 3 1/4 lengths over favored Band Is Passing. The win marks the first for the 8-year-old son of His Majesty since taking the Red Smith Handicap (gr. IIT) in November of 2000.
Breakaway Racing Stable's Unite's Big Red, who won the Mac Diarmida (gr. III) two years ago, breezed five furlongs in 1:04 2/5 at Calder Race Course last Sunday in preparation for his upcoming engagement in Sunday's renewal of that same stakes event.
Most Popular Stories
- Injury Knocks Constitution Off Derby Trail
- Ky Derby: Form, Pedigree, Speed, & Red Flags
- Illinois Gaming Plans Would Slice Racing Aid
- And They're Off: The End of the Trail Edition
- Stronach Takes Stand on Integrity Reforms
- Midnight Hawk Brings Illinois Derby Intrigue
- Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigations
- Dude Back On Game for Charles Town Classic
- Street Boss Colt Among Top OBS Day 2 Workers
- Eight Rivals Try Kid Cruz in Federico Tesio