Sassy City, New England's champion older mare in 2011, was named the 2011 James B. Moseley Horse of the Year by the New England Turf Writers Association at its 70th annual awards dinner held July 20.
Owner/breeder Frank Bertolino, jockey Joseph Hampshire Jr., trainer Maurice Bresnahan, and longtime Suffolk Downs executive Robert M. O'Malley were elected to the New England Turf Writers
Grade I winner Street Hero came through with his first winner when his juvenile daughter Street Magic won April 22 at Calder Race Casino & Race Course in her initial outing.
Tammi Piermarini, who became the fourth all-time leading female jockey in number of victories in 2011, heads the list of annual divisional champions and award winners as voted on by the New England Turf Writers Association.
Calder Racecourse experienced gains in on-track attendance and wagering and overall handle during the 52-day Tropical at Calder meet.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Grudge Match in the Alysheba
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- Three Grade I Winners Vie for La Troienne
- NBC Sports Group Sets Derby Week Coverage
- Nyquist's Groom Keeps Top Derby Horse Happy
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- NYRA Looking at Synthetic Track for Aqueduct