After the inexperienced Greeley's Galaxy made a laugher out of Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II), it didn' take owner B. Wayne Hughes long to make a decision on whether he would spend $200,000 to supplement his chestnut colt to the Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
With few standouts to emerge on the Kentucky Derby trail, a field of nine will be headed to Saturday's $500,000 Illinois Derby (gr. II) Hawthorne Park to see if they are the next to jump up and make a splash in the 3-year-old division.
Tracy Farmer's Sun King, third in the Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile (gr. I) and Champagne Stakes (gr. I), will make his 3-year-old debut in a one-mile allowance race at Gulfstream Park Feb. 26.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Songbird Confirmed for Ogden Phipps
- Classic Empire to Begin Belmont Training
- Epicharis Begins Journey to Belmont Park
- Catch A Glimpse Has Homecoming in Nassau
- Leslie's Lady in Foal to American Pharoah
- Midnight Storm Seeks Grade 1 Dirt Win in Gold Cup
- Classic Empire to Coolmore on Retirement
- CHRB Approves Medication Conditions for Breeders' Cup
- Lady Eli Brings Her Class to Gamely
- Humane Society, PETA Support USADA Bill