After an encouraging start in terms of pari-mutuel wagering in January, handle on U.S. races plummeted in February compared with the same month in 2014, a decline that dropped 2015's handle behind last year's pace
- By Jack Shinar
- Thoroughbred Racing, Handicapping, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, Mid-Atlantic Region
It appears doubtful that an impasse between the company that controls the simulcast rights for Gulfstream Park and a cooperative representing 23 tracks in the Mid-Atlantic region will be resolved in time for the Dec. 6 start.
The account wagering operation owned by Churchill Downs Inc. avoided losing its license to operate in California by reaching agreement with tracks in the state before a deadline expired March 18.
Satisfied that owners were getting as much as possible for purses from a recent state increase in takeout, the California Horse Racing Board granted three advance deposit wagering companies one-year extensions Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Drefong's Win a Boost for Machmer Hall
- Cavorting to Distaff, Mohaymen Gets Time Off
- Arrogate's Romp Enhances Half Sister's Value
- Monmouth Gets Donation, Alters Shipper Policy
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Belvoir Bay Makes the Grade in Torrey Pines
- Strike Charmer Bests Lady Eli in Ballston Spa
- Romero Rides First Winner at Indiana Grand