After an encouraging start in terms of pari-mutuel wagering in January, handle on U.S. races plummeted in February compared with the same month in 2014, a decline that dropped 2015's handle behind last year's pace
- By Jack Shinar
- Thoroughbred Racing, Handicapping, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, Mid-Atlantic Region
It appears doubtful that an impasse between the company that controls the simulcast rights for Gulfstream Park and a cooperative representing 23 tracks in the Mid-Atlantic region will be resolved in time for the Dec. 6 start.
The account wagering operation owned by Churchill Downs Inc. avoided losing its license to operate in California by reaching agreement with tracks in the state before a deadline expired March 18.
Satisfied that owners were getting as much as possible for purses from a recent state increase in takeout, the California Horse Racing Board granted three advance deposit wagering companies one-year extensions Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Little Mike Retired to Old Friends
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Borell Arraignment Set for Aug. 1
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- Connect Leads 1-2 Finish for Brown in Curlin
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Arlington, Hawthorne Reach Dates Agreement