After an encouraging start in terms of pari-mutuel wagering in January, handle on U.S. races plummeted in February compared with the same month in 2014, a decline that dropped 2015's handle behind last year's pace
- By Jack Shinar
- Thoroughbred Racing, Handicapping, Southeast Region, Southwest Region, Mid-Atlantic Region
It appears doubtful that an impasse between the company that controls the simulcast rights for Gulfstream Park and a cooperative representing 23 tracks in the Mid-Atlantic region will be resolved in time for the Dec. 6 start.
The account wagering operation owned by Churchill Downs Inc. avoided losing its license to operate in California by reaching agreement with tracks in the state before a deadline expired March 18.
Satisfied that owners were getting as much as possible for purses from a recent state increase in takeout, the California Horse Racing Board granted three advance deposit wagering companies one-year extensions Jan. 20.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Klimt to Stretch Out in FrontRunner
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud