Crusader Sword, one of the leading 2-year-olds from his crop, has been pensioned from stallion duty and will reside at Old Friends' retirement farm in New York.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr., one of Florida's leading breeders and owners for years, died Oct. 19 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after battling leukemia.
Trippi, Florida's leading sire this year, has been purchased by Johann and Gaynor Rupert's L'Ormarins Stud for stallion duty in South Africa.
Valid Wager, sire of grade I winner Valid Video, was euthanized May 15 because of complications from cancer.
California stallion Richly Blended, whose first foals are 2-year-olds, succumbed to colic July 30.
Successful Appeal, who proved successful as a racehorse, is also living up to his name as a stallion. He not only heads the freshman sire list by progeny earnings, but the overall 2-year-old list, and is the only stallion with three juvenile stakes winners. His success has proved so appealing and substantial that he might make the move from Hartley/De Renzo, Walmac South near Ocala, Fla., to John T.L. Jones Jr.'s Walmac International near Lexington for the 2005 breeding season.
The chestnut son of Dr. Fager was the last horse on the Tartan Farms property in Ocala, Fla.
For the second time in four years, the Mockingbird Farm team came up with the leading North American freshman sire. They won't make it three in 2002. Well, if they do, it won't be the same team.
Three Florida operations--Hooper Farms, Mockingbird Farm, and Farnsworth Farms' partnership with Locust Valley Corp. will disperse at the upcoming OBS Fall mixed sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Competitive Edge Super Sharp in Hopeful Romp
- Study: Boots, Wraps Increase Leg Heat during Exercise
- Miss Serendipity, Blanc Snatch Yellow Ribbon
- Del Mar Trainers to Hop in Bouncey Ball Race
- Sharp Sensation Edges Ben's Cat in 'Monster
- Cary Street Rides Rail to Greenwood Surprise
- Fall Meet at Los Alamitos Begins Sept. 5
- Protonico Surges in Smarty Jones for Pletcher
- Ring Weekend at Home on Turf in Saranac Win
- Breeder, Businessman Garvin Dies at Age 71