Crusader Sword, one of the leading 2-year-olds from his crop, has been pensioned from stallion duty and will reside at Old Friends' retirement farm in New York.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr., one of Florida's leading breeders and owners for years, died Oct. 19 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after battling leukemia.
Trippi, Florida's leading sire this year, has been purchased by Johann and Gaynor Rupert's L'Ormarins Stud for stallion duty in South Africa.
Valid Wager, sire of grade I winner Valid Video, was euthanized May 15 because of complications from cancer.
California stallion Richly Blended, whose first foals are 2-year-olds, succumbed to colic July 30.
Successful Appeal, who proved successful as a racehorse, is also living up to his name as a stallion. He not only heads the freshman sire list by progeny earnings, but the overall 2-year-old list, and is the only stallion with three juvenile stakes winners. His success has proved so appealing and substantial that he might make the move from Hartley/De Renzo, Walmac South near Ocala, Fla., to John T.L. Jones Jr.'s Walmac International near Lexington for the 2005 breeding season.
The chestnut son of Dr. Fager was the last horse on the Tartan Farms property in Ocala, Fla.
For the second time in four years, the Mockingbird Farm team came up with the leading North American freshman sire. They won't make it three in 2002. Well, if they do, it won't be the same team.
Three Florida operations--Hooper Farms, Mockingbird Farm, and Farnsworth Farms' partnership with Locust Valley Corp. will disperse at the upcoming OBS Fall mixed sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Lord Nelson Nabs Texas Red in San Vicente
- Maryland Positives for Compounded Drug Found
- Pletcher's Donn Quartet Breeze at Palm Beach
- Hard to Stay Notgo Romps in Franklin Square
- California Chrome Works, Set for San Antonio
- California Chrome Picks Up Cal-Bred Awards
- Take Charge Brandi On Oaks Path, Lukas Says
- Hoppertunity Confirmed for San Antonio Start
- California Chrome Works February 1, 2015
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes