Crusader Sword, one of the leading 2-year-olds from his crop, has been pensioned from stallion duty and will reside at Old Friends' retirement farm in New York.
Harry T. Mangurian Jr., one of Florida's leading breeders and owners for years, died Oct. 19 in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., after battling leukemia.
Trippi, Florida's leading sire this year, has been purchased by Johann and Gaynor Rupert's L'Ormarins Stud for stallion duty in South Africa.
Valid Wager, sire of grade I winner Valid Video, was euthanized May 15 because of complications from cancer.
California stallion Richly Blended, whose first foals are 2-year-olds, succumbed to colic July 30.
Successful Appeal, who proved successful as a racehorse, is also living up to his name as a stallion. He not only heads the freshman sire list by progeny earnings, but the overall 2-year-old list, and is the only stallion with three juvenile stakes winners. His success has proved so appealing and substantial that he might make the move from Hartley/De Renzo, Walmac South near Ocala, Fla., to John T.L. Jones Jr.'s Walmac International near Lexington for the 2005 breeding season.
The chestnut son of Dr. Fager was the last horse on the Tartan Farms property in Ocala, Fla.
For the second time in four years, the Mockingbird Farm team came up with the leading North American freshman sire. They won't make it three in 2002. Well, if they do, it won't be the same team.
Three Florida operations--Hooper Farms, Mockingbird Farm, and Farnsworth Farms' partnership with Locust Valley Corp. will disperse at the upcoming OBS Fall mixed sale.
Most Popular Stories
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - May 3, 2016
- Lani Breezes in Final Derby Preparation
- Zenyatta Bred to Medaglia d'Oro
- Amoss Believes Lanerie Best Fit for Mo Tom
- First Starters for Stay Thirsty, Shackleford
- Nyquist Strong in First Churchill Gallop
- Jockey DeShawn Parker Gets 5,000th Victory
- Mor Spirit Move Pleases Baffert, Stevens
- Danzing Candy, Trojan Nation Train in KY