Mo Mon, a leading sire in New Jersey, died of an apparent heart attack March 9. The 13-year-old son of Maria's Mon was found dead in his paddock at Dianne Boyken's Four Winds Farm near Clarksburg.
Graded stakes-placed Mo Mon came through with his first winner when a daughter, Saratoga Lilly, won July 27 at Monmouth Park.
Carl J. Odegaard's Hoovergetthekeys -- racing for the first time since winning the Golden Gate Derby (gr. III) by five lengths in January -- rallied to win Saturday's $200,000 El Camino Real Derby (gr. III) at Golden Gate Fields. Despite blazing early fractions, 3-5 favorite Startac failed to reach contention, finishing seven lengths behind the winner. The Turf Paradise Derby winner closed from last and just managed to finish second, a head in front of Mo Mon, who raced two lengths off hot the early pace.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Takes Easy Gallop at Spa
- Belmont Winner Palace Malice Retired
- NBC Schedules Two-Hour Travers Broadcast
- Violette Undecided on Travers for Upstart
- Keeneland Plans for Sale Activity During BC
- TTA to Conduct 2-Year-Old Sale in April
- Illinois Vote Could Impact Thoroughbred Dates
- Stellar Wind Tops Torrey Pines Field
- Bradester, Valid Meet Again at Monmouth
- Suffolk to Subsidize Shipping for Fall Dates