Though she didn't start for seven months, New York-bred Dayatthespa proved her credentials at season's end with a powerful victory in the Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. I) to earn an Eclipse as top female turf horse.
Front-running Dayatthespa, making her first start at the 1 1/4-mile distance, skipped away in the stretch to post a mild upset in the $2 million Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. IT) Nov. 1 at Santa Anita Park.
Dayatthespa rated in second for about seven furlongs before taking over and pulling away to capture the $400,000 First Lady Stakes (gr. IT) on the turf at Keeneland Oct. 4.
Grade I winner Dayatthespa, making a rare appearance against New York-breds, took control in the stretch and held steady for a 1 3/4-length victory in the $150,000 Yaddo Stakes Aug. 16 at Saratoga Race Course.
New York-bred Dayatthespa took the lead early and scored a two-length victory in the $400,000 Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup (gr. IT) on the turf at Keeneland Oct. 13, remaining unbeaten in 2012 with five wins in a row.
Odds-on Dayatthespa became a graded stakes winner when she held off Regalo Mia in the final strides to capture the $150,000 Herecomesthebride Stakes (gr. IIIT) by a neck on the Gulfstream Park turf course March 11.
Back on firm ground for her first start of 2012, favored Dayatthespa swept to a 1 3/4-length win in the $100,000 Sweetest Chant Stakes on the Gulfstream Park turf Jan. 22.
Most Popular Stories
- Monmouth Ups Haskell Purse to $1.75 Million
- Quick Arrest Following Delaware Park Shooting
- La Verdad Cruises in Honorable Miss
- Imagining Heads Tough Bowling Green At Spa
- Saratoga's PDJF Awareness Day Events Aug. 1
- The Day the Haskell Came of Age
- Solow Extends Group I Win Streak in Sussex
- American Pharoah's Haskell Stopover
- American Pharoah Has Final Work for Haskell
- Rock Fall Looks to Step Up in Vanderbilt