Retired trainer and jockey Mitch Shirota, whose training career spanned more than three decades and included a memorable Kentucky Derby Day stakes win at Churchill Downs, died Jan. 4.
A leg injury has ended the racing career of multiple graded stakes winner Shaconage only days before her scheduled start in the $150,000-added Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIT) Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Delta Princess, who won the Endeavor Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs in February, tops a field of seven fillies and mares slated for Saturday's Early Times Mint Julep Handicap (gr. IIIT) at Churchill Downs.
Shaconage tuned up for her run in Saturday's $150,000 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) with a good half-mile work Tuesday over Churchill Downs' Matt Win Turf Course. The Mitch Shirota-trained filly breezed four furlongs around the "dogs" in :50.60 over a course rated "good.
Shaconage, fourth entering the stretch, got rolling late with jockey Brice Blanc to take over in the final sixteenth of a mile in the $165,750 Locust Grove Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Churchill Downs turf Saturday.
In a thrilling last few strides, Shaconage and Brice Blanc came through on the hedge to upset heavily favored Etoile Montante and Jerry Bailey in the Argent Mortgage (gr. IIIT).
Woodbine might be unfamiliar turf for Shaconage and jockey Joe Johnson, but the pair certainly looked right at home on the Toronto oval's E.P. Taylor Turf Course in winning Sunday's $153,875 Ontario Colleen Stakes.
Most Popular Stories
- Leroidesanimaux Dies at 16
- Kentucky Suspends Umarov for 10 Years
- Destin Work is 'Stamina Builder' for Belmont
- Rockingham to End All Operations Aug. 31
- Little Nappy is Shackleford's First Winner
- Taris Could Opt for Triple Bend Over Vanity
- Velasquez to Ride Full-Time at Gulfstream
- Catch a Glimpse Probable for Penn Mile
- Candy Ride Colt Tops Barretts Sale
- Governor Malibu Has Strong Work for Belmont