Proud Spell was a bit further off the pace than she had been in her first two career starts, but a decisive four-wide move around the final turn was plenty good enough, as the Larry Jones-trained filly scored by three lengths in the $250,000 Matron Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 15 at Belmont.
The expectations were fairly modest for Katierich Stables' Miss Red Delicious, especially after finishing seventh in her racing debut at Keeneland this spring. But now the 2-year-old filly finds herself smack in the middle of the $250,000 Matron Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 15 at Belmont Park.
Graded stakes winners Empire Maker, Kafwain, and Repent were represented by their first stakes winners Aug. 18.
Classic winner Empire Maker was represented by his first winner when his daughter Miss Red Delicious won June 18 by 13 1/2 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Taghrooda Flies to King George Triumph
- Keeneland's Historical Racing Plans Delayed
- Irish Surf Runs Away in Cougar II Marathon
- Dance With Fate's Exercise Rider Has Surgery
- Dance With Fate Euthanized After Accident
- Whitney Card's Grade I Races Taking Shape
- LoPresti Unfazed by Slow Move from Wise Dan
- Untapable Favored in Haskell Against Boys
- V. E. Day Gives Lezcano Win 2,000 in Curlin
- Little Alexis Set for Test After Bullet Move