Proud Spell was a bit further off the pace than she had been in her first two career starts, but a decisive four-wide move around the final turn was plenty good enough, as the Larry Jones-trained filly scored by three lengths in the $250,000 Matron Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 15 at Belmont.
The expectations were fairly modest for Katierich Stables' Miss Red Delicious, especially after finishing seventh in her racing debut at Keeneland this spring. But now the 2-year-old filly finds herself smack in the middle of the $250,000 Matron Stakes (gr. II) Sept. 15 at Belmont Park.
Graded stakes winners Empire Maker, Kafwain, and Repent were represented by their first stakes winners Aug. 18.
Classic winner Empire Maker was represented by his first winner when his daughter Miss Red Delicious won June 18 by 13 1/2 lengths.
Most Popular Stories
- Full Field to Meet Flashback in Malibu
- Swiss Lake Yodeler Solves Soviet Problem
- No Jet Lag Can Make Amends in Sir Beaufort
- Mr Speaker Skims to Dania Beach Surprise
- Sweet Lulu Breaks From Rail in La Brea Clash
- Slideshow: A Visit to WinStar Farm
- Strapping Groom Much the Best in Gravesend
- Baker to Head Operations at Three Chimneys
- Elusive Gold Surprises Cape Guineas Field
- Ken Ramsey on Kitten's Joy