Jockey Justin Vitek, a native of Wallace, Texas, who found his greatest success on Midwest circuits, succumbed to acute myelogenous leukemia on the morning of Jan. 28 at the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston. He was 36.
Jay Em Ess Stables' Miss Pickums and Edward P. Evans' With Ability will share starting highweight of 116 pounds Monday when a field of six distaffers heads postward in the 67th running of the $150,000 Arlington Matron (gr. III), the Labor Day feature at Arlington Park.
Jay Em Ess Stable's Miss Pickums, enjoying a mid-summer turnaround at Arlington Park, is getting good just in time for Monday's Arlington Matron (gr. III).
Jay Em Ess Stable's Miss Pickums blew by the leaders on the final turn en route to a 4 1/2-length victory in the $50,000 Mariah's Storm Handicap Sunday at Arlington Park.
Grade I winner Pompeii, passed by Gal On The Go in the stretch, came back along the inside in the final strides to win by a neck in Sunday's featured $62,400 allowance race at Churchill Downs.
Heiligbrodt Racing Stable's Latour earned a hard-fought victory over 7-10 favorite Gold Mover after dueling with that rival since leaving the backstretch, notching her third consecutive victory in Sunday's $103,000 Davona Dale Stakes (gr. II) at Gulfstream Park. Under jockey John Velazquez, the 3-year-old filly stopped the timer in 1:45.51 after 1 1/16 miles on a fast track.
Jan, Mace, and Samantha Siegel's Miss Pickums moved past 2-1 second wagering choice Nasty Storm inside the final sixteenth-mile to win the $223,200 Golden Rod Stakes (gr. II) Saturday over a sloppy track at Churchill Downs. Under substitute rider Justin Vitek, the 2-year-old filly completed the 1 1/16 miles in 1:48.84.
Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Fusaichi Pegasus left the impression that he enjoys cool Kentucky mornings in a brisk gallop Wednesday at Churchill Downs.
Most Popular Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen - April 25, 2017
- Three Chimneys Strikes Early for Orb Colt at $685,000
- McCraken Finishes Strong in Five-Furlong Move
- Romans Mulling Rider Options for J Boys Echo
- Record Purses, Increased Handle at Oaklawn Park
- Capps' Death is Big Loss to Louisville Equine Program
- Albarado Fractures Lower Leg, Off J Boys Echo in Derby
- Dodd's Tiznow Colt Attracting Attention at OBS
- Santa Anita Cancels April 27 Racing
- Nichols Canyon Connections Pointing for Iroquois Bonus