Surfside is the probable morning-line favorite in Sunday's Grade I Santa Maria Handicap run at 1 1/16 miles for older fillies and mares. Trainer D. Wayne Lukas is hoping for good weather and a fast track after Surfside's third place finish as the odds-on favorite in her last start on a "wet-fast" track. Sunday's forecast calls for a 40 percent chance of rain.
lliquidity moved into contention while wide on the second turn and swept to the lead in the stretch to win the $176,100 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) by a half-length Saturday at Churchill Downs.
Robert and Beverly Lewis' Chilean-bred mare Miss of Wales will attempt to earn her first North American stakes win in the $150,000 Cardinal Handicap (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Churchill Downs. Also entered in the 1 1/8-mile turf race for fillies and mares 3-years-old and up are Ballston Spa Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner License Fee, Noble Damsel Handicap (gr. IIIT) winner Gino's Spirits, and multiple stakes winners Illiquidity, White Beauty, and Lady Tamworth.
Most Popular Stories
- Preakness Could Be Rematch for Derby Top 3
- Top Three Derby Finishers Stretch Legs Monday
- Anti-Slaughter Bill Introduced in Congress
- Favored American Pharoah Wins Kentucky Derby
- Arrests in Connection With Derby Night Death
- GI Winners Untapable, Lea Work in Kentucky
- 'Sea Hero' Symposium Set for May 30
- Divining Rod On Target for Preakness Stakes
- Keeneland Asks to Move Simulcasts to Red Mile
- Chinese Buyer Lands Top Two Mares at Inglis