An unusually large number of stall applications has led Canterbury Park to open its barn area seven days earlier than planned.
Canterbury Park and the Minnesota HBPA announced a program July 4 to help horsemen earn cash during a shutdown of racing, caused by a state budget crisis.
Claiming Crown organizers will meet in Tucson, Ariz., the week of Dec. 7 to iron out details of the 2010 event and perhaps look for ways to generate purse money through sponsorships.
Organizers hope to spark some new interest in this year's Claiming Crown, a $600,000 series of seven starter allowance stakes set for July 15 at Canterbury Park.
Canterbury Park in Minnesota will open May 14 with a 10% increase in purses. The daily average will be $138,000, the highest since the track reopened in 1995.
The Claiming Crown, inaugurated in 1999, is on its way back to Canterbury Park in Minnesota for 2003, but the date has been moved up from previous editions of the event.
Most Popular Stories
- And They're Off: 2013 Offy Awards
- Podcast: Eclipse Awards 2013: Older Divisions
- Flashback Likely Pick Among Malibu Probables
- Valenzuela Expects Healthy Santa Anita Meet
- Digging Deeper into Breeders' Cup Lasix Study
- Native Diver Monument Moving to Del Mar
- Storms Eye and Europe to Bearfoot Farms
- Stretch Out No Problem for Unbeaten Samraat
- Brown Enters Pleuven, Request in Dania Beach
- GII Winner Forty Tales Retires to Sequel NY