It doesn't appear live Thoroughbred racing will return to Birmingham Race Course any time soon, but the re-energized Alabama Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association said it plans to keep pushing for it.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Alabama HBPA has a new lease on life after its 2006 election was deemed valid, but convincing dissidents to rejoin and enacting legislation to restore live racing in Birmingham remain serious challenges.
Thoroughbred racing could return to Birmingham Race Course in Alabama under a proposal set forth Wednesday by track magnate Milton McGregor.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- 'Cleopatra' Looking to Reign in Chandelier
- Runhappy Faces Five in Ack Ack
- Jockey Collins Suffers Paralysis After Spill
- Beholder, Stellar Wind Renew Rivalry
- Colonel John Sold, to Stand in Korea in 2017
- Flintshire Rolls Into Joe Hirsch Turf Classic
- Snowden Death Investigation 'Inactive'
- Racing's Stars Set for Santa Anita Saturday
- Air Force Blue Retired to Ashford Stud