Chindi beat Smolderin Heart by 1 1/2 lengths in the $113,700 Ack Ack Stakes (gr. III) for 3-year-olds and older Sunday on opening day of the fall meet at Churchill Downs.
Carolyn Chapman and Theresa McArthur's Caller One broke slowly under jockey Kent Desormeaux, but recovered quickly enough to lead at every call en route to a 4 1/2-length win in the $150,000 Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. II) Saturday at Turfway Park.
When Caller One won Turfway Park's six-furlong Hansel Stakes by 10 lengths in his 3-year-old debut in March, he stamped himself as one of the top sophomore sprinters in the country. He returns to Turfway on Saturday to face seven other 3-year-olds as the odds-on choice in the Kentucky Cup Sprint (gr. II).
James T. Scatuorchio's More Than Ready, five wide as they straightened for home, closed gamely down the center of the track to win the $200,000 King's Bishop (gr. I) by 1 1/2 lengths Saturday at Saratoga.
Bevo, who on Wednesday at Saratoga completed his second bullet work in less than a week, drew post position five for Saturday’s $200,000 King’s Bishop Stakes (gr. I), in which he will face the Todd Pletcher-trained duo of More Than Ready and Left Bank.
Bevo displayed his readiness for the Aug. 26 $200,000 King’s Bishop Stakes (gr. I), and his fondness for the racing surface at Saratoga, going five furlongs in :59 4/5, handily, over a fast main track at Saratoga Friday.
A field of seven 3-year-olds will go to post for the $400,000 Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) Saturday at Saratoga, including Godolphin Racing's Curule.
Tiznow, a full brother to Budroyale, followed up his May maiden win by upsetting the field in the $134,250 Affirmed Handicap at Hollywood Park Saturday.
Most Popular Stories
- Callback Rings Up Victory in Las Virgenes
- The Great War Has More in Store After Romp
- 'Brandi' Makes Martha Washington Interesting
- Undefeated Ocean Knight Wins Sam F. Davis
- Avanzare Responds For Stevens in Arcadia Win
- Early Nominees to Triple Crown Races Increase
- Conquest Two Step Surprises in Palos Verdes
- Testa Rossi Gets Endeavour Victory on DQ
- Can Texas Red Be Beaten in the San Vicente?
- Aqueduct Cancels Racing for Saturday, Jan. 31