Now the winner of four consecutive races, Strait of Dover not only went gate to wire to defeat Irish Mission but set a new Woodbine track record of 2:01.99 for the Polytrack surface.
Istan, winner of the Nov. 3 Ack Ack Handicap (gr. III) by 8 3/4 lengths at Churchill Downs, has been purchased by Brereton C. Jones' Airdrie Stud.
We frequently find that horses that outrun their pedigrees have clever pedigree patterns. We were reminded again of that fact when Georgie Boy a son of rising California stallion star, Tribal Rule captured the Del Mar Futurity (gr. I) on Sept. 5. The race marked an advance in form for the youngster, who broke his maiden in the restricted Graduation Stakes on his third outing, and then took second to the Futurity runner-up, Salute the Sarge, in the Best Pal Stakes (gr. II).
Internationally renowned stallion Last Tycoon, winner of the Breeders' Cup Mile (gr. IT) at Santa Anita in 1986 when he also was named Europe's champion sprinter, died on May 27 at Japan's Arrow Stud, where he had stood since 1998.
Old Friends, an equine retirement organization based in Midway, Ky., announced that Sunshine Forever and Creator arrived Nov. 1 at Hurstland Farm near Midway, which has set aside paddocks for horses retired to Old Friends.
Rock of Gibraltar wins sixth group I in a row to tie record set by Mill Reef.
Two historical properties are for sale in prime horse country in two different states: Kentucky and Virginia.
Most Popular Stories
- Goldencents vs. Wise Dan Showdown Likely
- Back on Dirt at Keeneland; New Track Opens
- Deep Spinaway Cast for Durkin's Final Call
- OBS August Yearling Sale Ends With Declines
- Pleasantly Perfect to Taylor Made Stallions
- I Spent It, Competitve Edge Enter Hopeful
- Bandbox Retired to Northview Stallion Station
- Startup Nation Impresses in With Anticipation
- Cat's Claw Seeks Four in a Row in Glens Falls
- Enterprising Chases Sweep in Del Mar Derby