Keeneland's January horses of all ages sale, topped by $2.2 million mare Up, closed Jan. 15 with across-the-board declines in a year that featured no major dispersals.
Trainer Gary Contessa, the winner of more than 2,000 races, sends out his first Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) starter May 3 with New York-bred Uncle Sigh.
The first foal sired by graded stakes winner Fast Decision is a colt born Jan. 17 at Dr. Jonathan Davis' Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y.
Phone Trick, sire of champions and Breeders' Cup winners Favorite Trick and Phone Chatter, died Oct. 10 of natural causes. The 23-year-old son of Clever Trick stood at Dr. Jonathan Davis' Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y
Graded stakes winner Fast Decision, who is bred on a similar cross as leading sire Thunder Gulch, will enter stud at Dr. Jonathan Davis' Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y.
Although deceased Spectacular Bid closed out his career away from all the glamour he experienced early on in Central Kentucky, the four-time champion might have accomplished enough in some categories to be given a passing grade as a stallion.
Horse of the Year Spectacular Bid, whom trainer Bud Delp called "the greatest horse ever to look through a bridle," died Monday at Milfer Farm in New York.
Five-year-old Abuzaid, a full or half-brother to four stakes winners, has arrived for stallion duty at Dr. Jonathan Davis' Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y.
New York breeder/owner Dr. Jonathan Davis will add prominent sire Phone Trick to the stallion roster at his Milfer Farm near Unadilla, N.Y. Nineteen-year-old Phone Trick, who stood for a syndicate at John T.L. Jones Jr.'s Walmac International near Lexington, is scheduled to arrive at the farm this week.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Headed to Dubai World Cup
- Five Share Fastest Time in Fasig-Tipton Sale Works
- Conquest Mo Money Still Undefeated, Sunland Derby Next
- Finger Lakes Horsemen Agree to Deal to Keep Track Open
- Girvin Upsets Risen Star Stakes
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies
- Finger Lakes Season Could be on Line at Feb. 27 Meeting
- Prominent Ohio Breeder George Smith Dies at 84
- Unique Bella Tops Roster of 109 Kentucky Oaks Nominees