Koji Maeda’s Lani turned in the only work of the day by Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) contenders May 3 when the Japanese-owned and –trained colt breezed five furlongs in 1:01.
Japan's UAE Derby (UAE-II) winner Lani arrived at Churchill Downs April 3 following a 5 1/2-hour van ride from Chicago and was bedded down in Barn 17.
Comments from trainer Mikio Matsunaga after Lani's victory in the UAE Derby (UAE-II). Courtesy Dubai Racing Club Watch Video
Comments from trainer Mikio Matsunaga after Lani's victory in the UAE Derby (UAE-II). Courtesy Dubai Racing Club
Kentucky-bred Lani is headed back to his roots while representing Japan after earning his way into the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I) with a March 26 UAE Derby (UAE-II) score.
Should Lani finish first or second in Dubai, Yahoo Japan reported, Matsunaga plans to enter the colt, a son of leading sire Tapit, in the May 7 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I).
American horses could have a tough time in the Emirates Airlines Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf (gr. I). Not only is European invader Midday back to defend her title, Japan has sent a formidable adversary in Red Desire.
Buena Vista failed in her bid to become the third winner of the Japanese filly Triple Crown on Sunday when she lost by a nose to second choice Red Desire in the $2 million Shuka Sho (Jpn-I) at Kyoto Race Course.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Draws Post 13, is 3-1 Derby Favorite
- Field of 22 Set for 142nd Kentucky Derby
- Fresh Horses Plentiful in 2016 Kentucky Derby
- Ramseys Go It Alone with Oscar Nominated
- Trainer Abrams Takes Leave of Absence
- Full Gate for Pat Day Mile
- Rachel's Valentina 7-2 Oaks Favorite
- Gryder Seeks First Derby With Trojan Nation
- Nyquist Jogs, Schools at Churchill Downs
- Owner Bryan Shares Credit for Exaggerator