The New York Racing Association will provide racing fans with the opportunity to vote for the Mike Venezia Memorial Award online at www.nyra.com/veneziaaward through Saturday, August 30.
Ramon Dominguez, a three-time winner of the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey, will be presented with the Mike Venezia Memorial Award Aug. 25 at Saratoga Race Course.
Patricia Cooksey has been named the recipient of the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in a vote of fans, turf writers and jockeys.
Patricia Cooksey, Aaron Gryder, Edgar Prado and John Velazquez have been named as the finalists for the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award. The Venezia Award was instituted by the New York Racing Association to honor riders who "exemplify extraordinary sportsmanship and citizenship." Venezia was killed in a tragic spill at Belmont Park on Oct. 13, 1988.
Dean Kutz, who overcame serious physical problems to forge a successful career as a jockey, received the 2002 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in the winners' circle following the running of Friday's Top Flight Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Which Game On Dude Will Show Up in Classic?
- CHRB Amends Fee Scale for Losing Jockeys
- Seaway Draws Well-Balanced Field of 11
- Shared Belief Favored in Pacific Classic
- Big Blue Kitten Back in Jersey's Cliff Hanger
- Tapestry Upsets Taghrooda in Yorkshire Oaks
- TVG to Have Enhanced Pacific Classic Coverage
- Champion Benny the Bull to Bridlewood in 2015
- That Handicapping Show: Travers Stakes