Hall of Fame rider John Velazquez, a two-time Eclipse Award winner, was presented with the Mike Venezia Memorial Award Aug. 30 at Saratoga Race Course.
The New York Racing Association will provide racing fans with the opportunity to vote for the Mike Venezia Memorial Award online at www.nyra.com/veneziaaward through Saturday, August 30.
Ramon Dominguez, a three-time winner of the Eclipse Award for Outstanding Jockey, will be presented with the Mike Venezia Memorial Award Aug. 25 at Saratoga Race Course.
Patricia Cooksey has been named the recipient of the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in a vote of fans, turf writers and jockeys.
Patricia Cooksey, Aaron Gryder, Edgar Prado and John Velazquez have been named as the finalists for the 2004 Mike Venezia Memorial Award. The Venezia Award was instituted by the New York Racing Association to honor riders who "exemplify extraordinary sportsmanship and citizenship." Venezia was killed in a tragic spill at Belmont Park on Oct. 13, 1988.
Dean Kutz, who overcame serious physical problems to forge a successful career as a jockey, received the 2002 Mike Venezia Memorial Award in the winners' circle following the running of Friday's Top Flight Handicap (gr. II) at Aqueduct.
Most Popular Stories
- American Pharoah Forges Way to Zayat's Heart
- A Look at 2015 Homebred Derby Hopefuls
- Dortmund to Track, Other Derby Horses Arrive
- American Pharoah Tops NTRA Poll
- California Chrome Adjusting to Newmarket
- Baffert May Not Enter Filly in Kentucky Oaks
- Ranking the Kentucky Derby Workouts
- Alto Aims High With Materiality
- Weir, Lipinski on NBC Social Media for Derby
- Upstart Breeder Out of Hospital, CD Bound