Mister Pollard and rider Ricardo Santana Jr. were much the best in the $150,000 Governor's Stakes, winning by 7 3/4 lengths at Indiana Grand Racing & Casino Aug. 6.
Mike and Penny Lauer had a big night at Indiana Downs July 18 when they won three of four state-bred stakes and banked almost $200,000.
With a third straight Rebel Stakes (gr. II) victory sealed thanks to Secret Circle March 17, Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert was eagerly looking forward to the Arkansas Derby (gr. I) next month at Oaklawn Park.
Mike Lauer would like nothing more than to win the Snack Stakes, which is named after one of the best Indiana-bred 3-year-olds to race. Snack was euthanized in March 2005 in a stakes that might have determined whether he would have participated in Triple Crown events.
At the Indiana Thoroughbred Owners and Breeders' Association's annual members meeting at Indiana Downs March 8, Eddie Martin presented breed development director Jacki Brown with the organization's 2008 Blood-Horse Julep Cup Award for outstanding contribution to the state's Thoroughbred industry.
Most Popular Stories
- Scat Daddy Colt Tops Sale at F-T Florida
- Shared Belief a Massive Favorite in Big 'Cap
- On the Muscle, Dortmund Ready for San Felipe
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen for March 3, 2015
- Carpe Diem Faces Ocean Knight in Tampa Derby
- Retired Trainer Lake Dies in Saratoga Springs
- Gulfstream 'Cap Distance Fits Private Zone
- Winning Prize to Defend Kilroe Mile Title
- Five-Year Suspension, $25,000 Fine for Chapa
- BC Tickets Still Available After Day One Sale