As the Association of Racing Commissioners Annual Conference on Equine Welfare and Racing Integrity wrapped up April 20 in Charleston, S.C., Jeff Colliton officially took over as chairman of the group.
The Maryland Racing Commission on Oct. 19 adopted the Association of Racing Commissioners International model rules on medication penalties—rules that most observers thought the commission had adopted back in 2014.
The Maryland Racing Commission plans to begin testing for cobalt levels in racehorses this summer under an emergency regulation it approved during a May 19 meeting.
The Maryland Jockey Club and Maryland Thoroughbred Horsemen's Association have agreed to an 11-day live summer meet at Laurel Park.
- By Tom LaMarra
Regulators in the Mid-Atlantic region, who have been working together for years on uniform medication rules, agreed Jan. 20 to endorse the model medication and drug testing policy devised by the national Racing Medication and Testing Consortium.
- By Tom LaMarra
The Maryland Racing Commission has become the fourth regulatory agency to rejoin the Association of Racing Commissioners International in the past year.
Magna Entertainment Corp. and the Maryland Racing Commission are working on a document that would satisfy Magna's agreement to spend $5 million on upgrades at Laurel Park and Pimlico Race Course by Aug. 31, said Mike Hopkins, executive director of the commission.
The symbol (L) is widely used in racing programs to inform the betting public that a horse has been treated with the bleeder medication Salix (formerly known as Lasix). But visitors to Maryland for the Preakness might notice something different.
- By Tom Keyser
The expected $4.5-million purse supplement for Maryland racing has apparently shrunk to $3 million, according to Mike Hopkins, acting executive director of the Maryland Racing Commission.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop