Mighty Mecke's owners thought they'd done the right thing when their stakes winner fractured his foot earlier this year. They retired the 6-year-old horse and found a new career for him as a stallion on a small Midwest farm, believing he was wanted and would never race again. A July 7 e-mail shattered that belief.
Amerman Racing Stables' Chattahoochee War, winner of the Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, has been installed the lukewarm 4-1 morning-line favorite for the $500,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Delaware Park.
Puglisi Stables' Mighty Mecke closed strongly to wear down and catch Thorobeam Farm and Henry Mast's Favre in the final strides to win Monday's $100,000 OBS Championship Stakes that was part of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's Championship Day.
Most Popular Stories
- Downey Profile: Improvement Mandated in Rebel
- Tapiture Takes On Rebel Invaders and Old Foes
- Social Inclusion Spoils Honor Code's Return
- Study Links Cell Damage to Corticosteroids
- Azeri: Don't Tell Sophia Faces Close Hatches
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 3/10/2014
- Iotapa Heads Tough Lineup in Santa Margarita
- New Standards May Be Imposed on NY Stewards
- Sign Runs Last in Return from Lengthy Layoff
- Hall of Fame Jockeys to Compete at Pimlico