Mighty Mecke's owners thought they'd done the right thing when their stakes winner fractured his foot earlier this year. They retired the 6-year-old horse and found a new career for him as a stallion on a small Midwest farm, believing he was wanted and would never race again. A July 7 e-mail shattered that belief.
Amerman Racing Stables' Chattahoochee War, winner of the Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, has been installed the lukewarm 4-1 morning-line favorite for the $500,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Delaware Park.
Puglisi Stables' Mighty Mecke closed strongly to wear down and catch Thorobeam Farm and Henry Mast's Favre in the final strides to win Monday's $100,000 OBS Championship Stakes that was part of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's Championship Day.
Most Popular Stories
- KY Derby Winner Thunder Gulch Pensioned at 23
- Texas Red Set for Super Return in San Vicente
- Euro Exchange Tops Finale at OBS Winter Sale
- Palace Malice Sustains Minor Foot Bruise
- Upstart is Uplifting for Joanne Nielsen
- Majestic Affair, Lindisfarne Win at Laurel
- 82 Supplements to F-T Winter Mixed Sale
- Soumillon Scores Group II Double at Meydan
- Ties Atop TJC's Experimental Free Handicaps
- New Zealand Yearling Sale Continues Strong