Mighty Mecke's owners thought they'd done the right thing when their stakes winner fractured his foot earlier this year. They retired the 6-year-old horse and found a new career for him as a stallion on a small Midwest farm, believing he was wanted and would never race again. A July 7 e-mail shattered that belief.
Amerman Racing Stables' Chattahoochee War, winner of the Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, has been installed the lukewarm 4-1 morning-line favorite for the $500,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Delaware Park.
Puglisi Stables' Mighty Mecke closed strongly to wear down and catch Thorobeam Farm and Henry Mast's Favre in the final strides to win Monday's $100,000 OBS Championship Stakes that was part of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's Championship Day.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Wise Dan Turns in First Breeze Since Surgery
- The Pizza Man Key Ingredient To Arlington
- Jockey Stevens to Undergo Knee Surgery
- Multiple Group I Winner The Fugue Retired
- The Influence of His Majesty
- French Derby Duo Clash Again at Longchamp
- Tattersalls July Sale Ends on High Note
- Belmont to Offer Low-Roller Player Tourney
- Two Fillies Among 37 Ohio Derby Nominees