Mighty Mecke's owners thought they'd done the right thing when their stakes winner fractured his foot earlier this year. They retired the 6-year-old horse and found a new career for him as a stallion on a small Midwest farm, believing he was wanted and would never race again. A July 7 e-mail shattered that belief.
Amerman Racing Stables' Chattahoochee War, winner of the Central Bank Transylvania Stakes (gr. IIIT) at Keeneland, has been installed the lukewarm 4-1 morning-line favorite for the $500,000 Kent Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. IIIT) Saturday at Delaware Park.
Puglisi Stables' Mighty Mecke closed strongly to wear down and catch Thorobeam Farm and Henry Mast's Favre in the final strides to win Monday's $100,000 OBS Championship Stakes that was part of the Ocala Breeders' Sales Company's Championship Day.
Most Popular Stories
- Officials Examining Horse Deaths at Saratoga
- California Chrome Progressing Toward PA Derby
- Micromanage Set for Another Distance Test
- Knee Surgery to Sideline Kid Cruz for Year
- Texas Racing Commission OKs Instant Racing
- Ben's Cat Seeks Third Turf Monster Victory
- Lemon Drop Kid: A Class Act
- Saratoga Racing Secretary Gabriel Leaving
- Santa Anita Hosts Handicapping Event Oct. 4-5