Untried and a little star-struck when he competed for the first time at Del Mar last season, apprentice jockey Mick Ruis expects much better results this time around.
Very Vegas sprinted to a clear early lead and held off favored Aspen Gal in the stretch for a neck victory in the $111,350 La Habra Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Jockeys Tyler Baze and Jose Silva suffered serious injuries Monday in a five-horse spill which marred the running of the fourth race at Del Mar.
Mick Ruis, who recently completed his sophomore year at Poway High School near San Diego, "graduated" from the maiden jockey ranks at Hollywood Park in the second race Thursday, guiding Aetha to victory in a race for $8,000 claimers at 1 1/16 miles.
Apprentice jockey M.C. Baze, a promising 16-year-old from a family with a rich tradition in the saddle, has left Hollywood Park for Monmouth Park in New Jersey.
Most Popular Stories
- Sweeping New Drug Rules Approved in New York
- NEHBPA Files Application to Operate Suffolk
- Hoppertunity Gets Churchill Chance in Clark
- Old Friends Sets Open House for Silver Charm
- Haskin: Zayats Tested Like Few Owners Before
- Live Racing Blows In at Mahoning Valley
- Lope de Vega Colt Leads Tattersalls Trading
- Catching Up with Go for Gin
- Catching Up with Hansel
- 32 Horses Die in Chicago-Area Stable Fire