Longshot Rockport Babe not only provided an upset at odds of 20-1 in the first race May 15 at Santa Anita Park, but the 3-year-old Rockport Harbor filly also gave 25-year-old Shelbe Ruis with the first win of her training career.
Untried and a little star-struck when he competed for the first time at Del Mar last season, apprentice jockey Mick Ruis expects much better results this time around.
Very Vegas sprinted to a clear early lead and held off favored Aspen Gal in the stretch for a neck victory in the $111,350 La Habra Stakes for 3-year-old fillies Sunday at Santa Anita Park.
Jockeys Tyler Baze and Jose Silva suffered serious injuries Monday in a five-horse spill which marred the running of the fourth race at Del Mar.
Mick Ruis, who recently completed his sophomore year at Poway High School near San Diego, "graduated" from the maiden jockey ranks at Hollywood Park in the second race Thursday, guiding Aetha to victory in a race for $8,000 claimers at 1 1/16 miles.
Apprentice jockey M.C. Baze, a promising 16-year-old from a family with a rich tradition in the saddle, has left Hollywood Park for Monmouth Park in New Jersey.
Most Popular Stories
- Jim Rome Remembers Shared Belief
- Millionaire Grade I Winner Dads Caps Retired
- Runhappy Gets Back to Work at Keeneland
- Del Mar Critics Speak Out at CHRB Meeting
- A Travers Day Christmas Present
- Full Travers Field Awaits Exaggerator
- Weak OBS August Sale Fails to Recover
- Flintshire Looking Strong for Sword Dancer
- California Chrome Superior in Pacific Classic
- Veitch's Suspension Sent Back to KHRC