The Michigan Gaming Control Board has, at the request of Hazel Park Raceway, ordered an early end to the track's meet, given the track's lack of financial resources.
The Michigan Gaming Control Board has authorized Thoroughbred meets at Hazel Park and Northville Downs in the Detroit metropolitan area for 2014, horse racing interests in the state reported Jan. 21.
Live Thoroughbred racing is expected to return to the Detroit, Mich., metropolitan area in 2014, according to the Michigan Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Mount Pleasant Meadows has received approval from the Michigan Gaming Control Board to hold live racing beginning July 24.
Mount Pleasant Meadows, a mixed breed racetrack in central Michigan, has a contract with horsemen for a 30-day live meet with Thoroughbred races making up the bulk of the cards, but racing hinges on approval by the MGCB.
Pinnacle Race Course officials shut down the Detroit, Mich.-area track following the end of its live meet Oct. 31 and announced that simulcast operations would be suspended until at least the spring 2011.
The Michigan HBPA has helped Pinnacle Race Course restore its racing dates by paying a reglator through the MGCB.
Struggling with state budget cuts, the Michigan Gaming Control Board has cut scheduled horse racing dates by more than half, the state agency announced March 3.
The attorney for a small Indian tribe in Michigan is calling for the closure of Detroit's three casinos following a federal Appeals Court ruling that the licenses are "illegitimate."
Most Popular Stories
- Grade 1 Winner, Sire Devil His Due Dies at 28
- Desormeaux Switches Agents to Arroyo
- Cloud Computing Leaves Pimlico, Others Thinking Belmont
- Cloud Computing Wears Down Classic Empire in Preakness
- Into Mischief Filly Tops Early at Midlantic Sale
- Hips to Watch: Day 2 Fasig-Tipton Midlantic Sale
- Trainer Richie Scherer Dies at Age 53
- Speedy Smart Strike Filly Brings $525,000
- Smart Strike Filly Leads the Way at Midlantic Sale
- Jimmy Creed Filly Pride of Endswell's Consignment