The Michigan Gaming Control Board has, at the request of Hazel Park Raceway, ordered an early end to the track's meet, given the track's lack of financial resources.
The Michigan Gaming Control Board has authorized Thoroughbred meets at Hazel Park and Northville Downs in the Detroit metropolitan area for 2014, horse racing interests in the state reported Jan. 21.
Live Thoroughbred racing is expected to return to the Detroit, Mich., metropolitan area in 2014, according to the Michigan Horsemen's Benevolent and Protective Association.
Mount Pleasant Meadows has received approval from the Michigan Gaming Control Board to hold live racing beginning July 24.
Mount Pleasant Meadows, a mixed breed racetrack in central Michigan, has a contract with horsemen for a 30-day live meet with Thoroughbred races making up the bulk of the cards, but racing hinges on approval by the MGCB.
Pinnacle Race Course officials shut down the Detroit, Mich.-area track following the end of its live meet Oct. 31 and announced that simulcast operations would be suspended until at least the spring 2011.
The Michigan HBPA has helped Pinnacle Race Course restore its racing dates by paying a reglator through the MGCB.
Struggling with state budget cuts, the Michigan Gaming Control Board has cut scheduled horse racing dates by more than half, the state agency announced March 3.
The attorney for a small Indian tribe in Michigan is calling for the closure of Detroit's three casinos following a federal Appeals Court ruling that the licenses are "illegitimate."
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Rules Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- F-T Saratoga Offering 12 From Scat Daddy's Last Crop