A Valentine's Day fund-raiser for the family of jockey Michael Rowland, who died from injuries sustained in a Feb. 5 racing accident at Turfway Park, has drawn interest from around the country, and donated items continued to come in the morning of the event.
More than 300 people turned out at Turfway Park Wednesday to honor Mike Rowland, the jockey who died Monday after suffering extensive injuries in a spill at the track Feb. 4.
The Kentucky Horse Racing Authority will review the death of Michael Rowland, who was injured in a spill at Turfway Park last week, Chairman Bill Street said Tuesday.
Three memorial funds have been established to help the family of jockey Michael Rowland, who died early today of injuries received in a riding accident last week.
Jockey Michael Rowland, who was seriously injured in a spill at Turfway Park in Northern Kentucky Feb. 4, died early Monday, Feb. 9, at University Hospital in Cincinnati, Ohio. He was 40.
Citing track conditions, Turfway Park canceled races 4-10 on Sunday's 10-race card. Three races were completed without incident. Racing is scheduled to resume Wednesday, February 11, at 5:30 p.m.
Turfway Park in Northern Kentucky will resume live racing tonight (Feb. 6) after canceling last night out of respect for injured jockey Michael Rowland, who remains in critical condition at University Hospital.
Out of continuing concern for the condition of jockey Michael Rowland, injured in a three-horse spill at Turfway Park Wednesday, track officials have cancelled live racing for Thursday. The decision was made in consultation with the trainers and jockeys based at Turfway.
Thistledown's 2002 live season suffered declines in both handle and on-track attendance figures from 2001.
Most Popular Stories
- First Foal by Fast Anna Born in New York
- Untapped Takes First Steps Toward Filling Big Shoes
- End of Fair Grounds Quarantine Appears to be on Horizon
- Remains of Glacial Princess to be Moved to Old Friends
- Keeneland Announces Spring Meet Stakes Schedule
- Japan Gets a NY Filly as His First Foal
- The Big Beast Gets a Florida-Bred Colt as First Foal
- Spendthrift Juvenile Stallion Stakes to Add Filly Race
- Finnegans Wake to Stand at Ballena Vista Farm
- Dortmund Drills for Sherman at Los Al