St. Jovite, Virginia Kraft Payson's homebred 1992 European Horse of the Year, died Jan. 9 at Michael Keogh's Baysax Manor Stud in The Curragh, Ireland, due to the infirmities of age.
Wando, Canada's Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old colt following his sweep of the 2003 Triple Crown, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Queen's Plate winner Wando scared off the competition for Sunday's $500,000 Prince of Wales for Canadian-bred 3-year-olds at Fort Erie Race Track, and was installed as the 3-5 morning line favorite in a field of seven.
Mobil, unbeaten in two stakes starts this year including the Plate Trial Stakes, is the 2-1 morning line choice for Sunday's $1,000,000 (Canadian) Queen's Plate at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Veteran Kentucky-Based Hot Walker Roche Dies at 91
- Baffert Talks 2017 Triple Crown
- Elliott Honored with George Woolf Memorial Jockey Award
- Oscar Performance Targeting Keeneland for Season Debut
- Broken Pelvis Cause of Charismatic's Death
- Elliott's Award Reopens the Smarty Story
- Three Rules Fires Florida Bullet
- Boat Trip Gets First Foal Times Three
- Louis Quatorze Dies of Heart Attack
- Horse of the Year Charismatic Dies