St. Jovite, Virginia Kraft Payson's homebred 1992 European Horse of the Year, died Jan. 9 at Michael Keogh's Baysax Manor Stud in The Curragh, Ireland, due to the infirmities of age.
Wando, Canada's Horse of the Year and champion 3-year-old colt following his sweep of the 2003 Triple Crown, has been retired from racing and will enter stud at William S. Farish's Lane's End Farm near Versailles, Ky.
Queen's Plate winner Wando scared off the competition for Sunday's $500,000 Prince of Wales for Canadian-bred 3-year-olds at Fort Erie Race Track, and was installed as the 3-5 morning line favorite in a field of seven.
Mobil, unbeaten in two stakes starts this year including the Plate Trial Stakes, is the 2-1 morning line choice for Sunday's $1,000,000 (Canadian) Queen's Plate at Woodbine.
Most Popular Stories
- Exaggerator to Rest at WinStar
- Hill Specialist Ambitious Brew Takes Eddie D.
- Postponed Clear Favorite in Arc de Triomphe
- California Chrome Draws Rail in Awesome Again
- Champion Hidden Lake Dies at 23
- Charlton’s Abbotts Retiring on Own Terms
- Tepin Works Half-Mile at Saratoga
- Suffolk Downs Applies for Six 2017 Race Dates
- New Santa Anita Turf Course Passes First Test
- NYRA Sanctioned for Aqueduct Water Pollution