With his deep ties to the Garden State, New Jersey is rallying around Wood Memorial Stakes presented by NYRA Bets (G2) winner Irish War Cry as he prepares for a start in the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (G1) May 6 at Churchill Downs.
Arlington Park president says the track will go out of business without slots.
Discontinuation of the New Jersey Futurity, which dates to 1946, is symptomatic of problems in the state's racing and breeding industry.
Kid Grindstone used a big finish to surprise the even-money favorite Arch Hall in deep stretch, winning the $100,000 Fifth Season (gr. III) for older horses at odds of 9-1 in his graded stakes debut Wednesday at Oaklawn Park.
Most Popular Stories
- After 26 Stakes Wins, Fan Favorite Ben's Cat Retired
- Copper Bullet Out to Build Reputation in Bashford Manor
- New York Discusses Race-Day Lasix Rules
- Hill 'n' Dale Acquires Half Interest in Bubbler
- Fager to Deliver Thoroughbred Owner Conference Keynote
- Conrad Bandoroff Joins Denali Stud
- Industry Groups Ask for Change in Parx Oaks Ruling
- Ward Pleased With Stable's Royal Ascot Performance
- Arrogate Breezes at Santa Anita
- Irap Gets Best of Girvin in Ohio Derby