Hall of Fame jockey Jose Santos has settled his libel lawsuit against The Miami Herald over an article raising questions about his actions aboard 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I) winner Funny Cide.
- By Claire Novak
The Florida District Court of Appeals has ruled in favor of the Miami Herald in a defamation case filed by the owners of Funny Cide, winner of the 2003 Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
The Miami Herald, in a short notice that appeared in its Nov. 1, edition, said a misunderstanding occurred between a writer and jockey Jose Santos in connection with a story that questioned whether Santos carried an electrical device in this year's Kentucky Derby (gr. I).
- By Gary West
By Gary West -- When Jose Santos and Funny Cide left behind their rivals at Pimlico, and left even further behind the suggestions of impropriety, the jockey stood in the irons and kissed his right hand. He flashed the victory sign, and then he opened his hand to the world, as if to show again that it held nothing.
By Ray Paulick -- Most interesting comment in the 48-hour media barrage surrounding the "controversy" of Jose Santos and the 129th running of the Kentucky Derby (gr. I) came at about hour 24, during a roundtable discussion of journalists on ESPN's "Sports Reporters" telecast the morning of May 11.
After a thorough review of dozens of photographs and a replay of the NBC tape of the Kentucky Derby and interviews with various individuals, the Kentucky Racing Commission board of stewards determined that jockey Jose Santos did not carry anything other than a whip in his right hand when he won the Kentucky Derby with Funny Cide on May 3.
Jockey Jose Santos met with Churchill Downs stewards Monday morning concerning a controversy over a photo taken after this year's Kentucky Derby. The stewards are investigating whether Santos held something in his hand besides his whip when he crossed the finish line on May 3. Churchill Downs vice president John Asher said the stewards would hold a press conference at 2:00 p.m. (Eastern) Monday.
An Associated Press photo that appeared in Sunday's New York Post all but puts to rest the investigation of Jose Santos. The photo clearly shows the green Juddmonte Stables' silks of Empire Maker through Santos' outstretched fingers as he is about to raise his whip in triumph.
The New York jockey colony released a statement Sunday defending the integrity of fellow rider Jose Santos, who has been under investigation by the Churchill Downs stewards based on a photo and article that appeared in the Saturday Miami Herald.
Just hours after saying that Empire Maker would point to the Preakness Stakes, trainer Bobby Frankel had second thoughts, and as a result, the Kentucky Derby runner-up is back out of the Preakness picture.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Uncle Mo Filly Brings $1 Million at F-T Sale
- What is Uncle Mo Worth?
- Friesan Fire Colt Tops Midlantic at $825,000
- So Far, Seven Pointing for Belmont Park
- Fast Uncle Mo Filly Tops F-T Midlantic Sale
- Exaggerator, Nyquist Set for Belmont Rematch
- Exaggerator Turns the Tables, Wins Preakness