Stakes purses at the Belmont Park and Saratoga meets this year will increase roughly 27%, while overnight purses will jump about 42%, the New York Racing Association said Feb. 29.
Groom Sean Coulthard seemed to be waiting in ambush, as he stood in barn 2, stall 18, rubbing down Exciting Story. Coulthard, it seems, knew who was going to win the $750,000 Metropolitan Mile Handicap (gr. I), which was to be run in about 2 1/2 hours. "Here's the best bet of the day," he said emphatically to an unsuspecting passerby.
Most Popular Stories
- Wise Dan Won't Run in Fourstardave
- Stall Guns for Departing's Grade I in Whitney
- Horse Returned, But Entry Clerk Out of a Job
- Del Mar Once Again Shifting Races Off Turf
- Darley's Hard Spun to Return From Japan
- Millionaire Halo Dolly Retired from Racing
- Will Take Charge vs. Palace Malice in Whitney
- Keeneland September Catalogs More Than 4,000
- Best Pal is Next Chapter for Story to Tell
- Handle Declines at Churchill-Owned Tracks