The 5-year-old gelded son of Candy Ride, a former claimer, is now 3-for-3 at the 1 1/8-mile distance on the Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots lawn, having aced the $300,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Handicap (gr. IIT) March 28.
'Louisiana Legends Night,' showcasing eight Louisiana-bred stakes events, highlights a revamped stakes calendar for the 2005 Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino Thoroughbred Meeting.
Team Block's Mystery Giver is the 120-pound highweight in a wide-open field of ten turf specialists entered in the $500,000 Mervin G. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds Sunday.
Fair Grounds racecourse is renaming the $500,000 Explosive Bid Handicap (gr. II), to be run on March 21, 2004, to the Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap, in honor of the track's late director of racing and racing secretary.
Ben Huffman has been named new racing secretary at Fair Grounds. Huffman will replace director of racing Mervin Muniz Jr., who relinquished the position as he battles cancer.
Fair Grounds in New Orleans will kick off its 130th season Thanksgiving Day with daily average purses of more than $270,000 a day. The 89-day meet will run through March 25 and feature 60 stakes headlined by the $750,000 Louisiana Derby, a grade II event set for March 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Baffert Reflects on Arrogate's Travers Romp
- Arrogate Blazes to Travers Record
- Cavorting to Distaff, Mohaymen Gets Time Off
- Romero Rides First Winner at Indiana Grand
- Baffert Forever Linked to Unbridled's Song
- War Front Gets 50th Black-Type Winner
- Strike Charmer Bests Lady Eli in Ballston Spa
- 'Canadian Million' Races Set for Woodbine
- Love the Chase to Sell at F-T November
- Calvin Borel Returns to Riding at Ellis Park