The 5-year-old gelded son of Candy Ride, a former claimer, is now 3-for-3 at the 1 1/8-mile distance on the Fair Grounds Race Course & Slots lawn, having aced the $300,000 Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Handicap (gr. IIT) March 28.
'Louisiana Legends Night,' showcasing eight Louisiana-bred stakes events, highlights a revamped stakes calendar for the 2005 Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino Thoroughbred Meeting.
Team Block's Mystery Giver is the 120-pound highweight in a wide-open field of ten turf specialists entered in the $500,000 Mervin G. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap (gr. IIT) at Fair Grounds Sunday.
Fair Grounds racecourse is renaming the $500,000 Explosive Bid Handicap (gr. II), to be run on March 21, 2004, to the Mervin H. Muniz Jr. Memorial Handicap, in honor of the track's late director of racing and racing secretary.
Ben Huffman has been named new racing secretary at Fair Grounds. Huffman will replace director of racing Mervin Muniz Jr., who relinquished the position as he battles cancer.
Fair Grounds in New Orleans will kick off its 130th season Thanksgiving Day with daily average purses of more than $270,000 a day. The 89-day meet will run through March 25 and feature 60 stakes headlined by the $750,000 Louisiana Derby, a grade II event set for March 10.
Most Popular Stories
- Nyquist Out of Belmont Stakes with Fever
- Beholder Fires Bullet, Ready to Rumble
- Nyquist Spikes Fever; Did Not Ship to Belmont
- Havre de Grace Half Sister Wins at Delaware
- Derby Runner-Up Commanding Curve Retired
- NY Regulators Tighten Underage Gambling Rules
- Nyquist Improving; Exaggerator Jogs Two Miles
- Beam Appointed to Ohio Fund Advisory Panel
- Centeno Recovering in Florida After Spill
- Colt is First Winner for Maclean's Music