Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- FDA Sends Warning Letter to Compounding Firm
- Australia Easy Juddmonte International Winner
- Brief Fair Meet at Timonium Begins Aug. 22
- Better Lucky Sticks With Dirt for Ballerina
- Haskin: Viva Travers!
- The Jockey Club Elects Six New Members
- Value in Young Sires at Keeneland September
- Shared Belief Looking to Retain His Throne
- RCI Votes Increased Multiple NSAID Penalties
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes