Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- Successful Sire City Zip Dead at 19
- Cool Catomine Rolls Late in Prince of Wales Upset
- Girvin to Have New Pilot in Albarado in Haskell
- Accelerate Springs Stunning Upset as Arrogate Falters
- Baffert Still Aiming Arrogate for Pacific Classic
- Stakes Winners Featured in Del Mar Paddock Sale
- Stronach Group Explores Expansion into Massachusetts
- Z Capital Partners Purchases Parent Company of DRF
- Gutsy Move Gets Abel Tasman CCA Oaks Win
- Lady Eli Runs 'One of Her Greatest Races to Date'