Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- EquiLottery, AmTote in Strategic Relationship
- Baffert Seeks 7th Futurity Win with Dortmund
- Trainer Wells Pleads Guilty to Rigging Races
- EVA Vaccines: What You Need to Know
- Red Pollard Seabiscuit Saddle to be Auctioned
- Tax Break on Racehorses Passes Congress
- Untapable, Tapiture Settle in at Fair Grounds
- New York Panel Announces Winning Casino Bids
- New Management for 2015 at Rillito Park
- New Rules Lead to Spike in Indiana Positives