Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- California Chrome Returning Early From Break
- Paladin Bay Seeks to Tame Bison City Stakes
- Isabella Sings First Winner for Eskendereya
- 'Power' Pair Square Off in July Cup
- Social Inclusion Breezes for Haskell
- 'Princess' Looks Tough in Delaware Handicap
- Xpressbet to Sponsor West Virginia Derby
- Del Mar's Paddock Sale to be Held July 20
- Heerman Shaped Today's Thoroughbred Sales
- Empire Dreams Stretches Out in New York Derby