Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- Seeking the Gold Dies at 31
- Champion Tepin Will Bypass Fourstardave
- American Cleopatra Entered at Del Mar
- Full Field Possible for West Virginia Derby
- Will Frankel's Success Boost F-T Yearlings?
- Nyquist, Exaggerator Renew Rivalry in Haskell
- Sunday Silence Dominates Broodmare Sires
- Reinstatement of PA Awards Payments Tabled
- Birdatthewire Targets Molly Pitcher Stakes
- Ortiz Lands 1,000th Win in John Morrisey