Merlin Volzke, a former jockey and California racing official, died peacefully at his home in Sacramento on the night of Feb. 21 night. He was 87.
Retired jockey Merlin Volzke will become the first of his profession to receive the Laffit Pincay Jr. Award in a presentation by the Hall of Fame rider during the July 11 TVG/Betfair Hollywood Gold Cup program at Hollywood Park.
A decision announced this week to not renew the contracts of three of California's most senior stewards is part of changes being made to improve racing in the state, according to the executive director of the California Horse Racing Board.
Most Popular Stories
- Catch a Glimpse in Good Order After Nassau Scare
- Danzing Candy Wires Lone Star Handicap
- Ashleyluvssugar Wins Second Charles Whittingham
- Cupid Returns From Layoff to Win Gold Cup
- Twisted Tom Works Toward Belmont Stakes
- Lady Eli Digs in to Win Gamely
- Always Dreaming Officially Ruled Out of Belmont Stakes
- Galileo, Coolmore Dominate European Classics
- Souper Tapit Gets Graded Score in Marine Stakes
- Rubilinda Impresses as Frankel’s First US Winner