Comma to the Top and Mensa Heat, one-two finishers last out in the Pirate's Bounty Stakes, get a Sept. 28 rematch in the Eddie D. Stakes (formerly Morvich, gr. IIIT) on opening day at Santa Anita for the 2012 autumn meet.
In spite of a small field, a dandy match-up between 2011 national male sprint champion Amazombie and two-time grade I winner The Factor is set for the $200,000 San Carlos Handicap (gr. II) at Santa Anita Feb. 25.
Taking full advantage of a speed bias on Santa Anita's sealed main track, Frumious ran away from the field to register a 5 3/4-length victory in the $150,000 Palos Verdes Stakes (gr. II) Jan. 21.
Amazombie, the Eclipse Award winner as the nation's top sprinter in 2011, was tentatively entered for the $150,000 Palos Verdes Stakes (gr. II) at Santa Anita Jan. 21.
Recovered from ulcers, Mensa Heat was on top of his game once again as he defeated a solid group of California-bred sprinters in the $84,500 On Trust Handicap, the closing day feature at Hollywood Park Dec. 18.
Mensa Heat, a four-time winner since being claimed April 15 by Ted H. West, is among seven set to go in the $80,000 On Trust Handicap on closing day of the fall meet Dec. 18 at Hollywood Park.
With odds-on favorite The Factor cashing it in early, Amazombie closed from last on the far outside to take over past mid-stretch, winning the $250,000 Ancient Title Stakes (gr. I) at Santa Anita Oct. 8.
Most Popular Stories
- Big Three Clash in Rich Travers Stakes
- Close Hatches Dominates Personal Ensign
- California Chrome Sharpens Up at Los Alamitos
- Mark Valeski, Magna Graduate to Woodford
- Bayern Gallops 1 1/2 Miles On Eve of Travers
- Chrome Set for Pennsylvania Derby Return
- Hootenanny, The Wow Signal to Meet in France
- Jerkens, Lukas, Durkin Honored at Saratoga
- Pedigree Analysis: Bayern
- Irish Surf Opts for Classic Over Del Mar 'Cap