Remarkable News won the Dixie Stakes (gr. IIT) at Pimlico after Mending Fences sustained an injury while racing on the lead.
Mending Fences euthanized after falling in Dixie Stakes. Jockeys Eddie Castro and Robby Albarado in spill but both walk off under their own power.
An accomplished field of 12 older males will contest the May 19 Dixie Stakes (gr. II) at Pimlico. Leading the list in earnings is millionaire Silver Tree, who will be looking to bounce back after an unplaced effort in the April 7 John B. Connally Breeders' Cup Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT).
The powerful Bill Mott stable sends out Kinsman Stable's Classic Campaign in a wide-open field of 12 older horses set for the $150,000 Miami Mile Breeders' Cup Handicap (gr. IIIT) on the Calder turf course. The 5-year-old gelding will have to overcome the far outside post with champion jockey Garrett Gomez making a rare South Florida appearance to ride.
Mending Fences required little cooperation from Mother Nature as he led from gate to wire and won the $200,000 Connally Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IIIT) at Sam Houston Race Park by three-quarters of a length Saturday night.
Peter Vegso's Silver Tree has been installed as the 8-5 morning line favorite in the $200,000 John B. Connally Breeders' Cup Turf Handicap (gr. IIIT), the highlight of closing weekend at Sam Houston Race Park Saturday.
Trillium Stable's graded stakes winner Dreadnaught ships into South Florida from Maryland for the third time this winter as one of the horses to beat in a full field of 12 older horses entered in Sunday's $150,000 Mac Diarmida Handicap (gr. IIT) at Gulfstream Park.
Most Popular Stories
- Social Inclusion to Move to Chad Brown
- Palace Malice Hoping to Continue His Roll
- Coltimus Prime Rules Prince of Wales
- Purses, Races Set for WV Classics Card
- Montana Jockey Seriously Injured in Spill
- Study: EIPH Does Not Shorten Racing Careers
- Plenty of Options for Bayern after Haskell
- Equibase Announces Redesigned Website
- Ashford's Shanghai Bobby to Shuttle to Brazil
- Kingman, Toronado Set for Sussex Clash