The inaugural meet at Presque Isle Downs concluded Sept. 29, with the track located at the casino of the same name near Erie, Pennsylvania reporting average daily purse distribution of $432,074 for the 29-day stand. Overnight purses averaged $368,074.
It took nearly all afternoon for it to happen, but trainer Michael Maker and jockey Miguel Mena stole the show on Claiming Crown Day, Saturday at Ellis Park.
Richard Mena has been named the Jockeys' Guild chaplain by the organization's board of directors.
Joe Got Even, local winner of the WEBN Stakes in his last start, could be the favorite again Saturday when a well-matched field of 11 goes to the post in Turfway Park's John Battaglia Memorial Stakes.
Jockey Miguel Mena, who was thrown from his mount Sheer One when they clipped heels with another horse during Arlington Park's ninth race, was taken directly to Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights for evaluation.
Most Popular Stories
- Arrogate Last to First in Dubai World Cup
- Fast and Accurate Scores Spiral Upset
- Farrell Poised for Next Test in Fair Grounds Oaks
- Fear the Cowboy Takes Skip Away in Late Drive
- Juvenile Sales Scene Moves West to Barretts
- Thunder Snow Gets Up in UAE Derby
- Mind Your Biscuits Rises to Occasion in Golden Shaheen
- Fields Set for Louisiana Derby, Fair Grounds Oaks
- I Thought I had Seen it All
- Second Summer Catches Sharp Azteca in Godolphin Mile