Riders Randy Meier and Lyndie Wade were hospitalized with injuries sustained in a two-horse fall during the running of Hawthorne's third race on Nov. 30.
Randy Meier, the all-time leading rider at Chicago's Hawthorne Race Course, took off his remaining mounts on Saturday after he was injured in the starting gate prior to Arlington Park's second race.
Jockey Randy Meier broke his shoulder and a rib Monday at Hawthorne after his mount Demon Like bled and collapsed. Both jockey and horse are recovering.
Mercedes Stable's Publication put in a six-furlong work at Hawthorne Friday in preparation for a start in the April 6 Illinois Derby (gr. II) at Sportsman's Park. Repent, the likely favorite for the race, will work Saturday at Gulfstream Park.
Triple Crown Bloodstock's Publication raced up close through slow opening fractions, inherited the lead when pacesetter Lunar Bounty tired, then held on to win Saturday's $150,000 Arlington-Washington Futurity (gr. II) by a neck at Arlington Park.
On a rain softened turf course at Arlington Park Sunday, 18-1 Fan Club's Mister pulled away from fellow longshot Monsieur Cat to earn a 3 1/2-length win in the $250,000 American Derby (gr. IIT).
The axiom "speed kills" holds true about every second race for Duckhorn. The other times he worries trainer Patrick Byrne half to death. Fortunately for Byrne and owner Michael Tabor, the "good" Duckhorn showed up for the $500,000 Hawthorne Gold Cup (gr. II) May 19. Of course, that was bad news for his half-dozen opponents, who spent a mile and a quarter watching the rear end of the roan 4-year-old colt.
Most Popular Stories
- Gun Runner Powers to Easy Stephen Foster Win
- Paco Lopez Sent to Hospital After Paddock Accident
- McCraken Back to His Old Self in Matt Winn
- Heavy Rain Forces Belmont Park Cancellation
- Forever Unbridled Makes Triumphant Return
- Sircat Sally Remains Undefeated With Honeymoon Win
- Kasaqui Ends Six-Race Skid With Decisive Wise Dan Score
- Faypien Edges Mopotism in Summertime Oaks
- Monmouth Park Bans Shipping to Suffolk Downs
- Unique Bella Nears Return to Training