Seventeen horses have reached the final declaration stage for the 2009 renewal of the stanjames.com Two Thousand Guineas (Eng-I), the opening Classic of the season run over the Rowley Mile at Newmarket on May 2.
British invader Red Rocks spoiled American champion Curlin's turf debut in the $500,000 Man o' War Stakes (g. IT) at Belmont Park July 12 and gave owner J. Paul Reddam a grand grade I double on the day.
The 11 Breeders' Cup World Championship races drew 160 pre-entries (141 individual horses, 19 of whom were cross-entered).
J. Paul Reddam's Red Rocks, who is expected to conclude his 4-year-old season with a defense of his John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. IT) title, got his 2007 European campaign off to a promising start with a two-length victory in the Betfred Gordon Richards Stakes (Eng-III) at Sandown Friday.
Red Rocks, rated far off an honest pace, rallied boldly in the stretch under Frankie Dettori to win the $2,748,000 John Deere Breeders' Cup Turf (gr. I) over fast-closing Better Talk Now.
David Junior, trained by Brian Meehan and ridden by Jamie Spencer, landed the $5 million Dubai Duty Free (UAE-I) over 1,777 meters (about 1 1/8 miles) on the Nad Al Sheba turf by 3 1/2 lengths over the pacesetting The Tin Man.
Most Popular Stories
- Champion Producer My Flag Dies at Claiborne
- Blue Grass Runner-Up Medal Count Derby Bound
- Game On Dude Arrives for Charles Town Classic
- Haskin: Art Sherman, Dave Erb 'Swap' Stories
- Steve Haskin's Derby Dozen 4/14/2014
- 2014 Stallion Showcase
- 'A Not-To-Be-Missed Uptown Society Event'
- Fillies Sparkle in Furlong Drills at OBS
- Barretts May Sale Catalog Now Online
- Hamilton Joins Darby Dan Farm