The most recent version of rules governing horse sales in Florida were published for public comment May 9. The regulations are being touted as a successful compromise by some of those involved in the process.
It is clear following an April 7 public forum in Florida that published rules concerning horse sales in the state did little to quiet those on opposite sides of the arguments over disclosure and transparency.
The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services claims it doesn't have the power to regulate certain aspects of horse sales in the state, but is prepared to publish proposed rules it says are intended to prevent unfair or deceptive trade practices.
Legislators embraced recommendations of self-regulation for Kentucky horse auctions during a committee session Nov. 9, and applauded the effort of the Sales Integrity Task Force that formulated them.
About 50 members of the horse industry met in a public forum setting Oct. 29 to discuss the potential impact of a new Florida law that authorizes regulation in public and private sales.
Even though preliminary recommendations on self-regulation for the auction industry have been released by the Sales Integrity Task Force, the Kentucky legislature still has several months before it will act on them.
Preliminary recommendations aimed at self-regulation for the equine auction industry were unveiled by the Sales Integrity Task Force during a public forum held at the Keeneland sales pavilion Oct. 15, but the driving force behind Kentucky legislation seeking reform in the public selling arena quickly voiced displeasure with the suggestions.
Most Popular Stories
- Hoppertunity Stays Up in Roughshod Rebel
- Featured Horse Profile: Close Hatches
- Let Faith Arise Puts Santa Margarita On Ice
- Onlyforyou Euthanized After Training Accident
- Close Hatches Proves Class in Azeri Stakes
- Golden Lad Pulls Away for Razorback Romp
- Centre Court Scores Game Honey Fox Repeat
- Arkansas Derby Preview Day Preview Blog
- Cairo Prince Leads Florida Derby Worktab
- Champs Beholder, She's a Tiger Post Workouts