Moyglare Stud's Market Slide, an Irish Broodmare of the Year, died a few days ago after recently foaling a Montjeu filly.
Irish stayer Yeats, trained by Aidan O'Brien and ridden by Kieren Fallon, won the Gold Cup (Eng-I) at Royal Ascot Thursday.
Northerly, who won the Cox Plate (Aust-I) and Caulfield Cup (Aust-I) was named Australia's Horse of the Year for 2003 at a dinner at the Crown Palladium in Melbourne.
Wertheimer Farms' Olmodovar and Cee's Stable's Tizbud were both confirmed to run in next Saturday's $200,000 San Fernando Breeders' Cup Stakes (gr. II) after working over Santa Anita's main track Sunday morning. Both lightly raced colts will be making their stakes debuts in the 1 1/16-mile main track affair.
The final field of twenty-four has been drawn for Monday's running of the Toohey's New Melbourne Cup. A couple of the entrants had to put in late work to make the prestigious field.
Cox Plate Winner Northerly will rest rather than contest next Tuesday's Melbourne Cup...Cup Jockey Damien Oliver mourns death of his brother, jockey Jason Oliver.
Most Popular Stories
- Keen Ice Springs Travers Upset on 'Pharoah'
- Runhappy Romps to Record King's Bishop Score
- Loss Can't Derail Pharoah Phenomenon
- Island Town Crushes Smarty Jones Field
- Private Zone Speeds to Forego Victory
- Australian Trainer Bart Cummings Dies at 87
- Sheer Drama Plays Spoiler in Personal Ensign
- Flintshire Flies Away From Sword Dancer Foes
- Unbridled Forever Rolls to First Grade I Win
- Chilean Invader Dacita Takes Ballston Spa